Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

HI I have a Maytag refrigerator and once a year (always when

HI I have a Maytag refrigerator and once a year (always when the house gets hot) it stops cooling and interior heats up. I have found that if I unplug the fridge for some time (1hr) and then plug it back in, it runs ok again.
I have two questions
[1] is this caused by some sort of overload protection switching off the compressor.
[2] if so is there an easier way to reset this (other than unplugging the fridge for an hour ?)
Thanks
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hi the problem will either be caused because there is excessive dust build up in the rear around the compressor, the condenser fan stops running or the overload is cutting out the compressor, there is no other way to reset this other then to cool the compressor down.

I would make sure the fan is running if not replace the fan motor, if the fan is good and you have vacuumed the dust replace the start relay and overload since this may have a intermittent problem.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Simon,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,