Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

whirlpool gas stove keeps flashing loc ;; after installing

Customer Question

whirlpool gas stove keeps flashing loc ;; after installing new touch pad
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wfg371lvb1 whirlpool ;; beginning problem was it would come up to temp and just shut off ;; till restarted ;; installed new touch pad ;and now it reads loc

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So to start, the touchpad is not going to fix your original problem, the display board would. But as you know, the touchpad and display board are all built into 1 part, and just to make sure you ordered the correct part number---you needed to replace part w10424330.

Now that being said, LOC means that your control panel thinks that the control panel is locked. You should just need to press and hold the start button for 5 seconds to unlock the control panel. If that doesn't work, the display board that you ordered came faulty and you'll need to return the part and warranty the part out for a new one because only the display board can cause either of these problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the board was a w10183021 they sent me

80.00

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So that is the white version. If you need a white control panel, then w10183021 is correct. If not, then you need part w10424330 which is black. They still function the same, just different colors.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

follow up on the previous gas stove problem ;;ordered a new control like you suggested and it still reads loc all the time checked wireing looks good ;; checked the gas valve and it is not shorted or grounded ;

gget a 250-300 ohms reading from both terminals on the gas valve

from center tap to the bake and the broil ;

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the gas valve definitely wouldn't cause the issue, but reading LOC just means your control panel is locked it's very strange that the control board didn't unlock the control panel by replacing it, but the only other thing I can possibly think of that would cause this issue is the door lock assembly if the oven thinks the lock is stuck between lock and unlocked position it might confuse the board? It's possible that your lock assembly would need to be replaced but I might warranty out the control board first in case you got a bad part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok whis you had mentioned that about the door locking ; I can send the board back for credit ;;

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
actually after thinking about it more, I really don't think the door lock would cause LOC on the display. I think you're still down to the control board or if the touchpad came faulty maybe a bad touchpad that is holding the lock button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I this is the 2 nd board I have replaced ;;; to begin with the problem was the oven would come up to temp several times and then just refuse to come back on unless reprogmammed the temp ;; got the first board in and it would read loc the same as this one ;; checked the door lock sw seems to be working ;; any more advise ;;???

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is just really nothing else that I can possibly see being the problem causing LOC to appear. Holding the start button for 5 seconds on the control board is the only thing that should cause LOC to appear on the screen. If that doesn't fix your issue, then it still sounds like the control board is bad or possibly something got connected wrong? I really couldn't say but you may need a technician out there to double check everything.