Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a GSH25JFRWWC side by side model. Neither the freezer

I have a GSH25JFRWWC side by side model. Neither the freezer or refrigerator units are cooling. I think they stopped when we had a power surge during a storm, but I still get lights and the bottom of the freezer is cool.

Additional information that may or may not be related: For the last week or so, we have been hearing some periodic loud noises coming from the freezer (about the middle vertically). It's hard to describe but almost sounded like a garbage disposal.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Ok can you pull the unit out and see if the compressor and fan by the compressor are running. You will have to remove the panel behind the unit to see it. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. have the panel off. I hear some noise coming from down there. What does the compressor look like?

The compressor is the large black ball object. Put your hand on it and see if it is warm and vibrating the fan is right next to it in the round condenser loop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The compressor is hot and vibrating and the fan is on.

Ok, you need to open the freezer and remove the rear inside panel in the freezer. Your evaporator fan is probably not turning or the fan blade broke or is stuck. Once the panel is off check the evaporator coil. See if you see frost on it and see if the evaporator fan is blowing air. If it is not running you need to replace it or check the fan blade as a lot of them come off. The fan is above the evaporator coil and requires removing some of the upper panel sections to get at, but you should be able to see it and get to it. This is likely the noise you were hearing and hopefully just the fan blade fell off. The fan blade just slides onto the motor shaft so you can just press it back on if it is off. The unit will not cool without that fan running. Everything will get warm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fan blade was off! Thanks so much!