Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

I just sent a request for help on a Vintage Keeper wine cellar

Customer Question

I just sent a request for help on a Vintage Keeper wine cellar cooling unit. I got nervous about providing a credit card and not having a conversation with your expert until "whenever".

Can we have the Expert recontact me via this site?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.

Jon : Hello
Jon : My name is XXXXX XXXXX X can help you today.
Jon : What is the full model and serial number of the wine keeper? It is usually found in the back of the ref. so please take a look and get back to,me here with that info please so I can help you better.
Jon : Land when you get back to me with the model and serial number please also tell me what the machine is doing. Thanks
Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Richard, I am still here for you. Please get back to me here with that info so I can help you more.Thanks.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Jon, Sorry for the delay. It took me a while to find time to crawl back behind our wine cellar to gather the info.

The Vintage Keeper

Model: AZ22/AZWR

SN: 2205 3A

The unit blows warm air. Probably needs a charge.

It's very old and I was wondering if the model is still available to replace it. I never felt the dial to operate the theromastat setting worked correctly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Jon,

The Vintage Keeper

Model AZ22/AZWR

SN: 2205 3A

Blows warm air.

Does anyone still make this model??

Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Hey Richard,

Thank you for the response. I will look this up now for you and get back to you in a few minutes. But on a machine that is this old it will be difficult to find parts. Should you need them. And if you end up needing more freon I wouldn't recommend doing so. The charge will most likely not last especially if you had just recently charged it up. This most likely means there is a leak in the sealed system and the gas is just leaking out. Never a good thing.

Let me look this up and I will get right back to you.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Jon.

This unit was never previously charged with freon.

Are you doing any research and are you planning to provide any further expertise on this issue?

Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Yes Richard.

I have the model info now. Is yours a true vintage keeper or does it say marvel ?

Either way to doesn't matter. Just would like to know.

Your unit has been discontinued. And can't get parts for it.

But please do onethingfor me. Turn the thermostat as cold as it goes and tell me if you here the compressor come on?if it has been on already and is still blowing warm air then there is a leak and the sealed system is shot. In that case just get another one. Or at least a updated more energy efficient one anyway.

But if you turn the thermostat up and the compressor comes on you may have a shot of it working for you. If the compressor comes on starts to cool keep it that way.

Please let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Jon,

Upon turning the thermostat to the lowest possible temperature (to the right) the compressor does kick in and slightly cooler air comes out. But, it doesn't last very long before the temp of the air becomes warm.

Can these units be charged with freon?

Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Ok that is not good the cold air doesn't last that long. There is definitely a leak.

You can charge these. It is possible. Just not worth it if it warms this quickly sorry.

Go to vintage main page to see your options for a replacement.

Please get back to me here of you have any other questions. And please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. I'll look for a replacement.

Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

I am sorry it was not better news for you. Please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have more questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.