Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Appliance: Refrigirator Brand: Samsung Model: RM257ACRS Problem:

Customer Question

Appliance: Refrigirator
Brand: Samsung
Model: RM257ACRS

Problem: Top Freezer won't go under 0°C , but the display still shows -19°C.

Other info: This fridge has 4 compartments. Top left is freezer with problem, bottom left is set as a freezer, seems OK @ less than -10°C. Top and bottom right are set at cool and seem OK at 4°C.

What has been tried/checked:
-No frost anywhere inside
-Compressors seems to be running
-Error codes - 88 (all possible lines?) on the fridge and freezer displays
- Demo/mode - hear the chime , but otherwise no indication that demo is on or off (fridge would have had issues if on)
-Unplugged and replugged: nothing

Thanks

Seb
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! I suspect you may have an air flow issue. Do you hear a fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not at home right now, but I am on the phone with my wife. Top freezer is indeed very quiet and we cannot feel much (if any) air coming out of the small holes at the back. As for the bottom freezer, we can hear something, but are not sure - the hole at the back is difficult to get to right now.

Also, the fridge part is also quiet with little air flow, but it seems to be able to keep its temperature relatively okay... but is seems a little hotter than normal. I will try to get more precise temperature measurements when I come back home tonight. Hope this helps out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I think you definitely have a dead fan. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

According to the manufacturer, this fridge has the TDM System (Time-Divided-Multi-Evaporator system): Each compartment has an evaporator, microprocessors and a refrigerant-control-valve to control the refrigeration cycle. The 4 evaporators enable improved efficiency and humidity in the fridge. Food odor from the refrigerator does not affect food in other compartments because the cooler and air flow systems are separate.

Does this mean I have 4 fans in there? If so, then the top freezer one could be the culprit, right?

Thanks,

Seb

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Correct, there are several fans, see the picture below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me see if I got this straight:

Fans are 11-6 and 11-3 in the 11 sub section of the drawing. 11-6 looks like it is the top one, whilst 11-3 looks like it goes in the square hole in the bottom section.

Seb

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, new info. Bottom fan runs OK, Top fan is not running: I removed the back to expose the coils w/o unplugging the fan power wires and just placed it so I could the fan; I then replugged the fridge and I cannot see the fan turn, even in power freeze mode, whilst the bottom one is OK. It seems you were correct!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great, so to confirm, the top fan in the upper LH compartment is not running, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Exactly, it is the white one "water wheel" type.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! The motor you need is pictured and available below, you will reuse the blade.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Evaporator Fan Motor <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to let you know: I managed to dis-assemble the motor without too much trouble.

Thanks!

I restarted the fridge by by-passing the error codes and everyting is running OK (on the fridge side, that is...)

Thanks again.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! You are very welcome, thank you! Let me know how it goes once you receive the part, I love reading success stories!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got the part today, installed it and... not sure. The fan still doesn't seem to run (everyting its plugged, no error code when the fridge is plugged in. The bottom fan is still OK. It would think that the top fan would work all the time; from my understaing it pumps air from the compartment and shoots it thru the top, though the ice maker at the ice maker.

One thing however, the temperature that is indicated seems the right one.

I'll let it run overnight to see. If not, I'll bring the bad motor to my workplace and put 12 volts on it to see if it turns or not. If it does, then the problem will be somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the temperature is right, the fan has ran at some point. Let it go overnight and see what happens. Also, are you holding the door switch in when the door is open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK... I feel a litlle stupid - I just check while I held the door switch and I confirm that the new motor is indeed working (D'Oh!). For some reason, I don't need to do this with the bottom drawer for the bottom fan to work. Anyways, temperature started at +5°C at 8:00 PM and is now at +1°C. We'll see how low it will go tonight.

Unfortunately, I don't remember if I actually held the door switch when checked the original motor last Friday.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, since the temp is getting better, I suspect you replaced the correct part. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should've read +15°C and now at +1°C (even better). I'll let you know.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Indeed, good things to be seen in the morning, I bet!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1) The old motor is in fact dead: 12 Volts on it = nada. Resistance between pins is in the kOhm range. I plugged the + an - on the 2 pins that showed the less resistance value.

2) Temperature was -21°C on the display this morning, but in fact -6°C as read by a thermometer inside: however, the freezer is completely empty. With stuff in it, it did not go under -2°C with the old fan. I guess this is OK. I'll check with frozen stuff in it tonite,

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a success, we'll see how it goes once product is loaded. Have a great day at work!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well... not a success: Even loaded since this morning, the top freezer stays at about +8°C with a -17°C set-point and bottom one at around 0°C. I know the fan works now.

Just put "power freeze" option for both compartments - they are getting lower (bottom now at -8°C at air exhaust) Top at +5°C at exhaust that goes to the ice maker.

Getting frustrating here... any thoughts?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, that is not what we were looking for. Is it constantly running trying to get down to temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I came back tonight, it didn't seem to be constantly running.

Here's the situation now: Display still at -17°C. Top is stable at +6°C, bottom, after going down to -8°C, got back to 0°C, even in power freeze mode and is starting to go back down (oscillation) The fridge compressor is running and generates heat at the back of the fridge side. Freezer compressor is running, but no heat seems to be coming out of it...

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the freezer compressor for sure running, can you feel it vibrating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is. Also, bottom freeze oscillates between -8°C and 0°C, so there is cooling going on, only seems to be not strong enough.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the compressor hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't seem to be, no. If I compare fridge side to freezer side, fridge side is exhausting warm air from the back of the appliance, whislt the freezer side is not.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that is not good. It sounds like the freezer side is a bit low on refrigerant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bottom oscillating between 0 and -10°C now. Top is now getting under +5°C. (I have thermcouples installed inside tonight- geeky but useful)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The temperature swing is very odd. I think we should let it run overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My thoughts exactly. Oscillation is taking about 30 minutes between low point and high point - bottom is empty, whilst top has stuff in it.

I just got a theory: bottom is swinging because it is empty. But it is getting slowly but surely to lower than -15°C. Top is also oscillating, but at much less an amplitude, because it has stuff in it. It is also getting lower but at a much slower rate. Could it be that the temperature sensor is off? It is reading -17°C, but the real temperature is 15°C higher whilst the bottom sensor is OK???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Display temp is at -19°C. Power freeze automatically turned off last night and normal freeze is currently selected

Bottom section is between -15°C and -21°C - oscillation still present.

Top section is between -4°C and -6°C -not enough... but it is consistently (and s-l-o-w-l-y) going down. I have a graph showing the temperatures over time, but I cannot attach it here.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, we are making progress, let's see what happens this evening, if the temp keeps dropping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At 07:00 PM:

• Bottom (still empty) swings between -17°C and -22°- right on the set-point

• Top never goes down below -10°C

What diagnostic tools are left that we can use?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Not many left, I believe you will need to have the refrigerant level checked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll get a local guy to check that then..<

Bummer...

Take care.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I had hoped for better results, but it is not looking good.