The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

the black enamel paint is chipping off my wolf gas range. What

the black enamel paint is chipping off my wolf gas range. What can I do to fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Sorry to hear your stove is chipping.

The stove paint that they sell is not the same as what is on your stove. The coating on your stove is more of a powder coating rather than a paint. It is applied at ther factory using a magnetic coating process and then it is baked in a high temperature oven. It is the next best thing to a true porcilene coating.

Unfortunately if it is chipping the only true way to repair it is to have it recoated. There are companies that can do this for you but you will have to ship the part to them.

As for painting it you can do that but it is not going to be a tough as the existing coating.

If you do this yourself use a good high quality spray on paint that is rated for high temperature use. Automotive part stores carry engine paint that holds up well under heat.

I do not recommend the touch up paint that they sell at appliance dealers. It just doesanty hold up.

To prep the area use some 400 grit wet and dry sanding paper to feather the edges of the chips. Then clean it well with some denatured alcohol.
Give it another sanding with some 400 grit W&D and again clean with denatured alcohol just before you paint.

Do not apply a heavy coat. It will not dy completely and it wont turn out as well. Insted use 3 or 4 light coats and sand with 600 grit W&D between coats.

When sanding keep the sand paper and surface wet at all times for best results.

This will yeild a good looking surface that will be durable, but not as good as a powder coat.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Smitty, Thanks for your answer. So the 1200 degree stove paint is not recommended? Does the automotive paint come in varying shininess?

Yes I believe it comes in about a dozen colors and flat as well as gloss.

Cheryl, you can try the 1200* paint. Personally I have never had good luck with it.