Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Our fridge is about 15 years old. This weekend we had a huge

Our fridge is about 15 years old. This weekend we had a huge amount of water laying in the bottom of the two vegetable drawers. We cleaned the underneath coils and the freezer is fine but the bottom of the fridge is staying around 45 degrees. I have the temp control set 5. More water has accumulated under the drawers now. We are about ready to go buy a new fridge but thought maybe is could be something simple.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here is the defrost drain is blocked, In order to fix this problem remove the shelfs/drawer from the freezer, Next remove the lower panel in the rear. Behind this panel you will see the evaporator (looks like a car radiator) below this you will see the defrost drain pan.

Use a hair dryer to melt the ice you will see in the drain pan. Mop the water up you will then see the defrost drain. Pour hot water into the drain pan, leave the water for a few minutes then mop it up, Repeat this several times until you see the water drain away.

At this point you will be all set and can button the unit back up :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about a lower panel in the inside of the fridge?

Our inside seems to be a solid back.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No the panel in the rear of the freezer, The defrost drain is blocked so the water from the defrost cycle is running from the freezer into the fridge because it has no where to go.

Thanks!

Mike.