Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

ge monogram fridge model #ZISS420nmcs ; top of freezer section

ge monogram fridge model #ZISS420nmcs ;
top of freezer section freezes up with ice , and after a few weeks the temp in fridge creeps up to 50F , I do a whole defrost for 24 hrs dry out all ice water etc in freezer and starts the whole cycle again , same problem in 3 weeks
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Ok the problem here is the defrost system has failed, You would need to remove the shelf's from the freezer, Next remove the panel on the inside rear of the freezer. Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator (looks like the radiator on a car) Looped below the heater you will see the defrost heater, Disconnect the defrost heater then test it with a ohm meter, if the heater reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater is good (reads continuity) then the problem will be the defrost thermostat/sensor, This is located clipped to the top of the evaporator. This will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

am in North New Jersey and the problem gets worse starting in the spring , usually we are ok November to XXXXX humidity makes situation worse. A local App repair guy came on a service call and said the drain is frozen/ cloged, and its a manufacturing defect because the drain line cant empty and gets frozen . DOES THAT MAKES SENSE..? He didnt check the defrost system heater, sensor ,or thermostat, like u suggest which makes more sense. Have u heard of my type of problem with this GE fridge ..?, Are you basically saying that as a troubleshooting protocol we need to do the defrost system checks , and go from there or ARE you pretty sure based on experience that that is the problem..?

I am as sure as I can be without being there this is the problem, a blocked defrost drain would not cause this, a breakdown of the defrost system is one of the most common problems in all makes and models, You would need to test the heater as I pointed out then this will tell you which part is bad and solve the problem.

Thanks!

Mike.