Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

i have problem with my fridge Whirlpool the top is not working

i have problem with my fridge Whirlpool the top is not working i feel warm in but freezer on bottom is good what is wrong
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door/drawer then look inside at the panel inside the rear, need to know if you see any frost on this panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have frost at the panel not too much

Ok the problem here is the defrost system has failed, You would need to remove the drawer/shelf's from the freezer, Next remove the panel on the inside rear of the freezer. Once the panel is out you will see the evaporator (looks like the radiator on a car) Looped below the heater you will see the defrost heater, Disconnect the defrost heater then test it with a ohm meter, if the heater reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the heater is good (reads continuity) then the problem will be the defrost thermostat/sensor, This is located clipped to the top of the evaporator. This will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Hi urszula ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,