John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a 1999 Kenmore side by side fridge model number 59028991.

I have a 1999 Kenmore side by side fridge model number 59028991. It is turning off intermittently. When off its completely quiet both freezer and main compartment. I whack on the top or even a vigorous shutting of the door will get it to turn on again. I was away for the weekend and everything in the freezer melted and fridge spoiled. Is this an easy DIY fix or should I call someone in? Thanks!
Hi I,m John I will help you with the fridge problem.
The problem could be a thermostat or a defrost timer , send me the complete model number I will help you with the problem .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Kenmore Cold Spot. 106. 59028991

The thermostat is more than likely the problem especially if you tao the thermostat knob and the fridge turns on , follow this link for the part number and a video on how to replace the part .if you require more assistance let me know please .
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Control-Thermostat/2198202/2299?modelNumber=106.59028991