Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Hello. I have a new KitchenAid refrigerator. The ice maker

I have a new KitchenAid refrigerator. The ice maker was working fine. Before we left for vacation, a week and a half ago, I raised the arm on the ice maker. When we returned the day before yesterday, cleaned out the ice container, and I lowered the arm on the ice maker. It's been almost 48 hours and it still hasn't produced any ice. I can't imagine what the problem could be. Can you please give me any help as to what I could do?

Thank you very much.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Check the black fill tube going to the icemaker. Try and squeeze the tube with your fingers. If the tube is rock hard the tube is full of ice amd would need to be steamed out and defrosted. If you can squeeze the tube then you may have a bad icemaker. Let me know the results and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you mean inside the freezer or behind the freezer?

Inside the freezer. The one right above the icemaker
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems hard, but I don't know how soft and pliable it's supposed to be. Can you please tell me why that would have happened just because the ice maker was turned off? And how do I go about thawing it?

You will not be able to squeeze the tube at all it will be rock solid. If you can squeeze it at all it should be clear. let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot squeeze it at all.

It is frozen then. You need to pop off the lift off cover in front of the icemaker. Remove the 1/4" screw under the icemaker off to the right hand side. The plastic cover where the screw is will come off and then you can slide the icemaker out on the track. Once it is out you can use a hairdryer or steamer to defrost the short black tube
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The screw is in the center of the front of the ice maker. Also, the tubes are connected to the back wall of the freezer, so how would I remove the ice maker?

Can you give me the model number off the unit you may have a different one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Certainly. The model number is XXXXX

Ok you have a different unit. Pop off the cover on the front of the icemaker. Get the square white cover off. Either pull on it hard and pop it off or get a flat blade screwdriver to pop it off. Once it is off can you get a jumper wire or do you have any insulated paper clips(the ones with the coating on them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I have the top off, and I have a coated paper clip.

Ok strip the ends of the paperclip. Hold the insulated part of the paperclip and put the stripped ends into the L and V holes.....see if the unit starts to fill. Pull it out quickly if the water comes into the unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. No water came into the unit.

Ok make sure you press the light switch down so the light goes out when you have the jumper in place. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I think I feel water in the tray now. What does that mean? What should I do now?

Ok take that jumper and put it in the T and H holes and then press the light switch in...see if the gear starts turn.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know how much the gear is supposed to turn. I heard two small sort of thud noises, but nothing continual or constant.

Ok the gear should move consistently. It sounds like you have a bad icemaker motor or stripped gear in the motor on the icemaker. If the gear does not rotate like a clock when T and H are jumped and continue to rotate you need a new icemaker. They just go bad maybe just coincidence nothing more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see. So then even though the black tube is hard, that is not the problem? And would there be a reason that a new ice maker would stop working just because it was shut off?

Yes, that is very common. If you have the jumper in T an H with the light switch pressed and the gear is not turning....time for a new icemaker. It may have just went bad, just coincidental from turning it off.

All I ask is that you rate my assistance thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I definitely will. You've been wonderful to go through all of the explanations with me, and I thank you very much.

I just noticed, however, while I was waiting for your response, that when I repeated the process to see if I heard a consistent turning, that the arm went up while I was watching and a row of ice is standing on end in the ice maker. It hasn't dislodged, though. I don't know if it will do it on its own shortly, or if that's a problem. I am not able to pull it out.

It could be the issue, if the fingers have gotten jambed the motor will just stall and continue to try and turn, thus making no ice. You could remove the icemaker and wash out the jamb. There are 2... 1/4" screws that the icemaker hangs on and 1 attached underneath. you need to remove the one under that attaches to the wall, then just loosen the two above the mold on the wall. The icemaker will lift off and you can unplug it to get it out and clear the jam. Then plug it back in and watch the fingers and gear motor. If it is turning when you press and hold the light switch in the unit should be working...maybe you got lucky with just a jamb!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I'm a little nervous, but I'm going to try it. I don't see a gear to watch, I just hear it, but I'm going to give it a go.

I see that you're on the east coast. I apologize for the late hour. I thank you for your help. And I will certainly rate this experience as a most positive one.

I thank you, again.

No problem here is a video to assist you, go towards the end of the video to see the removal. Just copy and paste the link below.