John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

bottom frezzer dor does not close evenly, oosture is getting

Customer Question

bottom frezzer dor does not close evenly, oosture is getting in on the left side causing frost inside on the food
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the door not closing properly .
Is the bottom hinge worn at all or is the gasket ripped ?
Send me the model number please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gasket is not ripped, unit is just over a year old model gfss6kky-ss

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
are you able to lift the freezer door to make it close properly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried to lift door to correct the problem, did not work. the left gasket is not fully closed

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If lifting the door did not work the only remedy is to replace the freezer door gasket .
I would get in touch with GE to have it replaced under the warranty if it only just over the warranty, this is the part number and the price of the freezer door gasket .
WR24X10213

RepairClinic Item #1477612 (OEM Part)

$86.75

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do not believe the gasket is bad, the amount of pressure closing the door on the left side has to be increased to fully seal the gasket. the gasket is only one year old and appears in good shape. what do i do?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
What you can try is use a hair blower to soften the gasket to see if it seal the freezer door.
The rating you gave me is not called for i am here to help you till the problem is resolved .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

your answer did not work

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
If that did not work the replacing of the freezer door gasket should .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unless something is done to close the door on the left side tighter i will not have a frost free frezzer. so far your answers will not solve the problem.i do not want to pay $30.00 unles we solve the problem.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Is the gasket twisted or is it the door thats not closing properly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the door is not closing properly, not tight enough on the left side

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
What could be stopping the left side not to close properly is frost build up under the plastic strip that runs along the front of the freezer opening , turn off the fridge and use a hair blower along the plastic strip of the freezer door opening , frost at that location will cause the plastic strip to buldge out a little causing ther door not to close properly .
Try that and let me know if that works please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

two days ago i cleaned out the freezer and left it openfor several hours , ther is no frost there. i have to eat dinner, if you canfind a way to close the left side tighter, please e-mail me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX i thank you for your effort , but we have not solved the at this time.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The GE refrigerator must be level for the doors to stay closed properly, especially on side-to-side models. Lift up on each side of the toe grille in the front of the refrigerator and then pull the grille straight off to remove. Then examine the roller screws on each side of the bottom front of the unit and use an adjustable wrench to tighten the screws (raise the rollers) or lower the screws (lower the rollers). When properly adjusted, the front of the refrigerator will be positioned a little higher than the back of the refrigerator, which you can test by closing the doors. If the doors stay shut, including the freezer door, the adjustments are correct .
Try that and let me know please .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i put a level on the freezer door and the refrig bouth are dead level

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The fridge should be higher in the front than at the back in order to give the doors more weight, raise the front legs till the fridge door closes by itself if let go at the halfway point .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i will be out of town for two days, will try as soonas i get back.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Ok, good luck with the door and your trip .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

today i will try to raise the front of the refrig will let you know later

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks .