Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My freezer door is impossible to open following a routine opening

My freezer door is impossible to open following a routine opening for ice or food. It remains firmly "locked" against major effort to reopen, until major time has passed....
Is ther an adjustment I can make?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The difficulty in opening the door is due to air pressure. The door will not open easily until the air pressure has equalized in the cabinet. That is one drawback of excellent sealing of the cabinet, but necessary to maintain efficient operation and maxumum food preservation. If you anticipate having to open the door several times in a short period, place a small towel over the door so the seal does not seal 100% and then remove it when you are done.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Isnt there an air system to equalize the pressure promptly? Is there a fan switch I should check?
There is an evaporator fan that circulates the air and will equalize the pressure, but it does not happen instantly. If that fan was not running, you would be having temperature problems.