Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Water dispensor is barely dispensing any water, ice machine

Customer Question

Water dispensor is barely dispensing any water, ice machine is not making any ice
Could this be because of the filter? The filter hasn't been changed in 5 years probably.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is it just barely a stream of water coming out ? and have you checked the icemaker for ice chips on the fingers binding the icemaker? did you ever have hollow cubes? thx

Randy 43 :

did you get my postCustomer

Customer:

I am not sure. Our tenants were living there. The old tenants never complained. These new ones noticed that the ice maker was not working

Customer:

Sorry I have to go to my crying baby. Please email me an answer.

Randy 43 :

Yes, i would definately think the filter is the issue , it will be for the slow water and it can cause the icemaker to bind up with ice chips and hollow cubes, when a filter goes it can affect both the disp and the icemaker for sure

Customer:

Can you please let me know the part# XXXXX the filter that I can order? So, the dispensor wouldn't dispense any water without the filter? I took the filter out and still no water is coming out

Randy 43 :

<a href=Water Filter - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX" width="100" height="100"/>
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Water Filter

RepairClinic Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

GE Refrigerator Water Filter. If you have never installed this new style filter or your old filter was made by Culligan you may need the adapter to install it.

Manufacturer Number MWF

More

Related Items:

$52.55

Quantity:

In Stock

Randy 43 :

here is the filter part number and price , you can buy online or any parts dealer can get it for you

Randy 43 :

and some fridges dont allow water to flow unless there is a filter ,you are correct

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

URGENT:

I bought the filter and replaced it. When I turned on the water dispenser to dispense water, a little bit of water came out, after that we heard loud gurgling noise coming from the back of the fridge. But no water came from the water dispensor. It seemed like water was flowing somewhere.

We pulled the fridge out of it's space and saw water on the floor in the back. I pulled the flap out where the condensor is and flap was wet from the bottom. I put my hand inside where the water tube was going and when I turned water on again, water started spraying out of that section. Then the entire white hose came out in my hand. Please see attached photo. The we shut off the water supply to the fridge. Then water started leaking from where the copper water supply pipe was connected to the fridge outlet. This entire incidence is so bazar. We haven't noticed these leaks before. I am hoping that this is an easy fix, we have to unscrew the what plastic nut and put the hose back in and screw it.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
if it is leaking from that tube ,it may be just cracked , shut the water off , unscrew that plastic nut and cut the tube pull the defective part of the plastic hose from the nut , cut it back a inch or two straight across ,reinsert it into the plastic nut and tighten it up again ..then turn the water on and recheck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks, I will try it.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The water is coming out fine now. However, the ice machine is not making any ice. Any idea how we can make it work?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
i would first check the fill tube make sure it isnt plugged up ,frozen over , also check the fingers for ice chips that may be binding the icemaker up ..if all those check out we can check a bit further ,let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure how to check if the fill tube is plugged. Also, what is a fill tube? There is no ice in the ice maker. Also I don't understand or how to check: "check the fingers for ice chips that may be binding the icemaker up "

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
the fingers are those white flaps that eject the ice cubes , the fill tube is the tube that feeds the water into the icemaker, it is at the rear of freezer section ,just a plastic tube that fits into the icemaker fill spout area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will look tonight

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
ok