Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

How do I replace a drum lifter or baffle on a 2006 Maytag Neptune

Customer Question

How do I replace a drum lifter or baffle on a 2006 Maytag Neptune Washer model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! There is a tab that must be released after removing the screw. The page from the manual below will help.

graphic

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I have to take out the complete tub? Or can I leave the tub still inside but the front half taken off, witch I've done. The baffles are to tight to put in. No room to move them front or back.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Remove the large black rubber hose on the bottom of the tub and you can probably reach those tabs through that hole when the baffles are at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Removing that large black rubber hose, only allows access to the 2 bolts. Do I have to remove those bolts at the rear of the tub? Do I have to remove the entire tub to replace the baffles?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, the manual says yes, but you should be able to get to the tab with a long screwdriver to push it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand, I already have the front half of the tub off. the second half is still in the washing machine. I clearly have access to the tabs. My problem is there is no room to move the baffles front or back to lock in the tabs. Will it help if I send a picture?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well the baffle has to slide about 1/4" to be removed, there is no other way to get them out. They have to slide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see how you can slide the baffles about 1/4" to remove them. The front & back of the inside tub have the baffles in so tight. Do I have to remove those 2 rear bolts from the bottom black hose opening. There are 2 of them on each baffle spot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

The baffles are located on the front tub. There is a screw on the outer side of the tub that hold the baffle from being able to slide out. Cane remove the top and the back panels of the washer to get them. Use a stubby screwdriver to remove the screws. The baffle will not slide out from the inside until you release the locking tab (also on the outer part of the tub as well). Then you should be able to slide the baffle from the inside of the tub to remove. Please give me a great rating if I was able to assist you. If not, please respond back for more information, if needed......Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know where the baffles are located. I have taken off the front half of the tub to have access to them and have removed the screw that holds them in place. I have 2 baffles that came off during a wash and the other was about ready too. The problem is that there isn't enough room to slide them at all to lock in the tabs. The baffles are wedged in so tight, at the front & back inside the tub.

Do I further have to disassemble the tub by removing the 2 bolts where I have access to from the large black rubber hose opening? Or, do I have to remove the entire tub to replace the baffles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Has anyone replaced Baffles/Drum Lifters on a 2006 Maytag Neptune Washer Model MAH9700AWW?
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using this service I am a different tech so please only rate my assistance. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first. I have done this job many times. Even though it shows a screw holding the baffles in place, there normally is never one there. This is actually pretty simple and easy to do. You just grab the back edge of the baffle and pull hard towards the front of the machine. The tabs will pop and the baffle will come out. The new ones just slide and lock in place. Typically takes about 5 minutes to do the whole job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is that there isn't enough room to slide them at all to lock or unlock the tabs. The baffles are wedged in so tight inside the tub at the front & back.

So do you do this job without any screw used? Is there enough room to slide the baffles in or out?

Yes the baffle just slides about 1/2" there always is enough to slide it towards the front of the drum. It should be pretty tight against the back of the drum, but there should be a gap at the front edge of the baffle so you can slide it back. Also yes even though the diagram shows a screw there is not one there, I have never seen one on any of the units. Just reach in all the way to the back edge of the baffle and pull hard towards the front. It will pop and slide forward about 1/2" and then you can lift it out.