Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a HE washer in our basement. A few times over the past

I have a HE washer in our basement. A few times over the past year, while using the washer, a dripping leak has occurred in ceiling just outside the laundry room door. It is definitely laundry water (has detergent smell). Plumber could not find anything when leak first occurred (didn't realize it was laundry water at that time); it didn't recur for several months. It has now recurred several times over the past couple of months, and SEEMED to be tied to "very large" loads in washer, so we were taking care not to overload it. Today, however, it was fine for five or six loads, but last load - containing about 4 pair of jeans, so not overloaded for this large capacity machine - caused a lot of leaking. What could be causing this?
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Can you see the leaking coming from the unit and what make and model unit do you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I can't actually see it coming from the unit. The leak just appears to be related to the washer - there is no other water source above it, and it only occurs when the washer is being used, and only some of the time when it's being used. Since it first happened, it's always happened under one of two circumstances - an highly loaded machine, or a heavyweight load (such as the jeans in this instance). I washed four loads prior to this one, and the one before this load had half a dozen towels and 2 pair of jeans - with no leak. I'm going to go check on make and model of machine; am pretty sure it's a Whirlpool.

Ok if you can get me the model number off the machine that would really help. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a Maytag Duet Steam. Do you need an actual model number? where would that be located?

No that is fine. Ok if you look at the washer get down on the floor and look under the bottom edge. You should see 3 torx screws along the edge. Do you see them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I can't, because the washer is on one of those platform drawer storage things we bought as a set with the washer and dryer. I THINK I see some screws, but am not sure that's what you mean.

OK the screws are between the pedestal and the bottom edge of the unit. Watch this video...skip forward to 1:00min into the video and watch how he removes the access panel. You need to get that off and then you could see if water is leaking from inside the unit. If there is no water in the unit when the panel is off, then I would say you may have a drain backing up and overflowing from the stand Drain pipe. That would explain why you may have leaking since when you use it more the drain pip may be partially clogged and not able to handle the amount of water when it drains, then it overflows. Check it out and see.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I will try that later - but I strongly suspect it's the drain backing up. It's actually what I was suspecting, but I didn't know if that was even possible. I'd like to give you a Good Service rating - is that acceptable?

Yes that would be great Thanks!