The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My whirlpool top-load washer ( MOD # XXXXX) is leaking

My whirlpool top-load washer ( MOD # XXXXX) is leaking from 2 places on the plastic outer tub. I can see the one in back when I pulled off the back of the machine and started a load. It leaks during all stages of the wash cycle. Is it just the tub, or is the leak from the 2 holes indicative of a bigger problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

If ther are any holes in the wash tub it indicates that something was protruding from the inner wash tub and wore the holes from scratching on it. Most likely an unser wire from a bra. That is the most common thing that does this. i have seen 3 tubs worn through like you describe. 2 were underwires, and one was what looked like a bicycle spoke. Not really sure what it was.

What you need to do is first remove the inner tub and remove whatever is causing this. Then while the tub is out you can repair it with some high grade silicone caulk to seal the holes.

Replace the inner tub and you are back in business.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the speedy response. I hope it is just that easy!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I have a hard time getting to the outer tub. We have finally removed the spanner nut, but the inner tub is stuck fast and will not come out. We have watched a couple of repair videos with showing the repair with our washer model (whirlpool wtw4800xq1) and it looks like it should lift right out once the nut is removed. We have tried WD40 and no luck. Any tips nor tricks you can share?

The inner tub can get fused to the drive block and may be diffivcult to remove. About all you can do is juast keep working the tub back and forth to loosen it. Heat helps! Use a propane torch and heat the top of the tub around the drive block.

Rocking the tub is the most effective way to get it out though.