Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a maytag 9000 dryer- and it doesnt seem to fully dry

We have a maytag 9000 dryer- and it doesn't seem to fully dry our clothes any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it just shut off in the Auto Dry cycle before they are dry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier. Once cleaned, you should have better drying results.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok- found them but they don't seem very dirty...
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
They won't look dirty, but if you use an abrasive cloth, followed by white paper towel or cloth, you will see....Wink
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!