The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have an GE washer Model # XXXXX The tub will not

Customer Question

I have an GE washer Model # XXXXX The tub will not spin (the motor is not humming) I have checked the lid and water level switches and both are fine.The tub does spin freely( the belt looks good) How do I find out if the clutch or motor are the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

One moment and I will type this up for you.

Thank you.

Okay. What you need to do is see if the unit will go into a diagnostics mode.

Please see the pages below for the procedure to place your unit into diagnostics mode.

Once you are in diagnostics use the chart on the second page and see if there are any stored error codes in the systems memory. Please post them here and we can go from there. If the unit will not go into diagnostics mode please let me know.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think i have it in diagnostic mode, the 2nd,4th and 5th leds are lit, the chart is hard to understand

Did all of the lights light up when you released the start button?

If not unplug the unit for a minuet and try it again.

Also start with the selector knob at the 12 oclock position.

Once you have that done rotate the knob one click at a time and compair the lights on the uinit to the dots in the chart for each click. note any that light up and post them here with the click number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1)2,4,5
2) none

3) none

4) none

5) 4

6) 3

7) 2

8) 1

Those are fine. How about 9 and 10, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

9) the soak led lit up

10) the wash led lit up

Great! what I need you to do now is pull the unit away from the wall. Remove the back panel and you will dee the motor. there is an indicator LED on it that will tell us if there is a problem with the motor itself.

The previous test was for the control board.

Please see the page below for the codes that the LED will flash.

Let me know what it does and we can go from there.

Thank you.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Were you able to access the back of the unit??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The light is blinking the 1 second on/off motor is in standby mode, i have pulled the red and yellow wires on the motor and got 72 ohms.Is the motor/inverter bad?

Before we say its th emotor there is one more thing to check.

There is an inline fuse that if bad will not allow it to spin, agitate, or shift modes.

Please see the information below.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the fuse and it's good.

Okay that only leaves the control board.

Please click here to order a new board for your unit.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**