Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Our lights went out due to a storm. Came back on 1 minute later

Customer Question

Our lights went out due to a storm. Came back on 1 minute later and the dishwasher sounds a loud, constant alarm. I have placed the module control assy and since I have 2 exact same dishwashers I removed the keypad from the other to see if this would fix the problem before ordering one. It did not. I can tell you that if you are looking at the parts breakdown (it doesn't show the wires or the wiring harness) the "circle" near the center of the module control has 2 plugs. One at 12 O'clock and the other at 6 o'clock. If I have everything plugged in except the one at 12 o'clock the alarm doesn't sound. What do you think my issue is? I posted a link to my dishwarshers parts break down drawing if this helps you.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/escutcheon-door-assembly-parts-for-ge-pdw9700j10ii.html#d29404992
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I have the serial number from your dishwasher, please? This model has been involved in a recall that is likely causing your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This model sn is HH778455B. I will tell you that in 2010 I had the "repair" done for this recall but I have 2 of these in my house. I came home about a month ago with something that smelt like it was burning and it was. My dishwahsers computer module and the wiring harness. GE is coming out to "look" at this next week to see if they will take care of since it is the reason for the recall but they were not biting on the one I have asked you about.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, the part at the top that will keep the alarm from sounding is a thermal fuse, not shown in any parts breakdown and a huge source of aggravation for many techs and parts people. So, with that unhooked, the power does not make it to the module. That is why the alarm does not sound. I still think the issue is within the module. Did you replace it with new? Do you have a meter to test for low voltage to the module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did replace the module. I do have a meter to test for low voltage. After replacing the module, the other way I could keep the alarm from sounding was to unplug the 3 prong plug that has 2 wires going to it on the far, left, bottom corner. Even with the 2 single wires plugged in at the "circle" the alarm would not sound if this 3 prong plug was pulled out. I am not sure if that helps you. I am not very good with the meter thing. Can you tell me what I put where for this test? Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That information does help, thank you! The plug at the lower LH corner is for the active power vent, or blower motor, shown as number 721 in the diagram below. Can you see if that blower fan will move if you spin it by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It took me a second to open it up but yes, it will spin by hand.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you disconnect the plug at the blower and see if the alarm still sounds with it unplugged there but plugged in at the board, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnected the plug at the blower and plugged everything else back in at the board, the alarm sounds. :(

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
But not if you unplug it at the board? What color are the wires in the plug you are unplugging that makes the alarm stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason the alarm stops with either the 3 prong plug (bottom left corner of module) is pulled out or the plug pulled out of the "circle" is b/c it is a dark gray wire that runs from the "circle to the 3 prong plug and is joined there with a white wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's 12:23 a.m. my time. It is ok with me if you would like to pick this up again later. I signed up for text alerts. Your call.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The only gray wire aI can see on the wiring diagram is from the soil sensor, but that is in the upper RH corner of the control on the J3 plug. Is there a number on the board by the plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize- this wire is dark gray from the "circle" plug then it is connected to a black wire that runs to the 3 prong plug where a white wire is plugged into the plastic plug in as well. I did not see any numbers but the white wire that runs from this plug within inches is connected by a splitter and connects 2 more white wires. One runs to the blower plug you had me check and the other to the soap dispenser.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If you disconnect the wires from the detergent dispenser, does the alarm stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand that. If you disconnect them at the board, it stops, but not if you disconnect them individually. That is strange. I think we are down to checking each component individually for a short because unless the new module is bad, I can't see anything else causing that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm with you. I will tell you this, if it helps, when I unplugged the detergent dispenser and the alarmed sounded, I realized that the blower motor, I disconnected last night was not plugged in and the alarm still sounded. Did you get my message about the keypad question? I don't see it listed under my responses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still don't see it listed so I will retype. I had an epiphany that maybe my other keypad is bad as well. I plugged it into the old module, it didn't stop the alarm so I just assumed it was the module and ordered a replacement. I didn't dawn on me until now that maybe the keypad to the other dishwasher is bad as well and I either just need a keypad or both module and keypad. What are your thoughts?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I was under the impression that the keypad and module were new, I reread your initial post and see that is not the case. With the old dishwasher experiencing a module and harness meltdown, I would suspect the touchpad was damaged as well. I would replace the touch pad, available below. The link below is to a company that will take the part back, even if installed, so there is no risk in trying!

Touchpad Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in total agreement with you and I have already placed the order. Thanks for you help. I will let you know how it works out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

I replaced the keypad. That was it. It works great and I did not need the module so I am bagging it up and sending it back.

Tiffany

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is awesome, so glad you got it going! Thank you for taking the time to update me, I appreciate that very much!