Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

REFRIGORATER FOR THE FIRST 8YRS WAS GREAT. THEN IT WAS OVERBOARD

Customer Question

REFRIGORATER FOR THE FIRST 8YRS WAS GREAT. THEN IT WAS 'OVERBOARD' DEFROSTING, AS IN COULDN'T KEEP ICE CUBES, OVER NIGHT THE CUBES WERE GONE. NOW THE FREEZER MOTOR RUNS BUT CAN'T FREEZE. AND THE 'FRIGE' DOES NOTHING I'M GOING TO NEED TO BUT A 'COOLER'. AND THE HOUSE IS FOR SALE. EACH TIME I OPEN THE DOOR, I SMELL SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE THROWN OUT. HELP
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? Also, if you open the freezer door and look at the lower back panel--do you see any frost build up on the back panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

jtb1988ae no frost build up

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the first thing you need to do is remove everything out of the freezer and remove all the screws going into the back panel. Remove the back panel and look at the silver coils behind the back panel. Are they packed with frost? No frost at all? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on top but not on bottom?

Also, is the fan over the silver coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Screws from inside the freezer? There are none, they're rivets (sp?)

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There are screws. There are definitely no rivets. The screws might be 1/4" hex nut screws, but they are screws. And the point is that the back panel needs to be removed. If this is beyond your capabilities then you'll need to call a technician out I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What kind of tool do I need

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Just a 1/4" socket or a 1/4" nutdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does that mean power tools

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no. These are just standard tools that 99% of households in america already have if you do any sort of handy man work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK so it's an attachment you put on a handle, Let me think a minute

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still trying to get the screws out, with 'needle nosed pliers' pls
don't leave me hanging, pls help me. karen

I did it, it looks like there was a melt down some on the plastic is brown
and melted out of shape.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how I can help you further. Maybe ask a neighbor to help so you have the correct tools? Based on the responses I'm getting from you, I am really not sure that even once the panel is removed the repair is going to be anything that you're capable of repairing yourself, so I would really suggest calling a technician out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't open it - are you saying there is nothing I can do? Just get rid of
it?

My neighbor to do what ?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm saying to get a neighbor who might have the proper tool (1/4" socket) to help you remove the panel. And no, I'm in no way saying to get rid of the appliance, I'm just saying that your tool set and skill set might not be adequate to fix this refrigerator yourself so you may need to call a technician.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I got the back off - and in two areas lower right & left corners have been
'melted and have changed shape and turned brown' WHAT !

So today I bought a cooler and a bag of ice - my eyes are brimming w/tears,
the house is on the market and when I paid $800. to have the wood floors
done the guy wouldn't let me roll the frig. so the floor isn't done under
there. The realtor said by the time 'they' move in they'll have bought their
own and planned it that way. I have so much on my mind - :>) I never moved
by myself before. . . . .just tell me to shut up !

Do you think there is anything that can be done also why & how did that
happen?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 months ago.
The brown melted insulation happens because the defrost stays on too long. But that won't stop the refrigerator from cooling. That will just cause food to thaw out for 30 minutes or so in the freezer and then re-freeze. That looks to be a secondary problem. What do the silver coils look like? Are they packed with frost? No frost on the coils? lightly frosted from top to bottom?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No frost on silver coils. I happy that you keep answering me. . . .

tO GET AN EXPERT OUT HERE WHAT WOULD THAT COST???

SO FAR YOU'RE GREAT.

No frost is a big problem. It means that either your compressor is bad, the start device to start the compressor is bad, or you have a freon leak. If you have a freon leak the cost would be about $350 and a new compressor would be about $550. Now if you needed the start device replaced that would normally be about $180 or so, but you'll need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure and such to know which issue you have for certain.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So it needs to be kicked to the curb, it's broken. For money $25.00

You are great thanks for everything, but now I need money to by another Appliance : (

Alright, I wish you the best of luck.