John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I just bought a Maytag bottom-freezer (EcoConserve 33 inch)

Customer Question

I just bought a Maytag bottom-freezer (EcoConserve 33 inch) refrigerator. One of the first things that I noticed was a high-frequency/pitch whine that is loud enough to be annoying, even when I am in another room. I am wondering if this is typical for this particular model, or whether I should try exchanging it for the same model in the hopes that this is just an aberration?
I'm thinking of going to an appliance store and trying to "listen" to a floor model and see if it sounds the same as the one in my kitchen. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Normally a high pitch noise is a fan motor. Can you pin point where the noise is coming from such as the fridge, freezer, back of unit....ect? Please let me know...thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for getting me started toward understanding what the problem might be. My fridge is in a house about 40 miles from here (I'm renovating it), so I can't tell you right now where the noise might be coming from. I'll visit the house tomorrow and see if I can pinpoint where it is originating.

I'll then provide that information to you. And I'll be happy to "bonus" if it gets me to the point where I understand if this is a 1-off defect or a fundamental flaw of the design of the fridge.

I'll follow up with you tomorrow. Thanks.

Expert:  Jason replied 3 years ago.
Ok, sounds with you soon.