The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Hi. I have to install an air conditioner I am going to buy

Hi. I have to install an air conditioner I am going to buy from Bed Bath and Beyond (haven't chosen which AC though).
I am posting a link below with the pic of the window.
I am trying to figure out which AC would be the best to get for that window to fit it right and also because the room gets a lot of noise from 2nd Avenue in Manhattan, NY. So I wonder how to put it in a way to prevent noise to come.
So basically I want to get an AC from Bed Bath and Beyond (because of their good return policy) that would fit right to that window and wouldn't be so noisy.
The bedroom is very small by the way. The windlw size is 32x32 inch (2 windows- one above , one below)
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/default.asp?
http:[email protected]/9226954824/

Thanks

Hi again Alexandre.

There are not any AC units designed to reduce the outside noise Im sorry to say. It does sound like a good idea though.

I think I have found a unit that is inexpensive and is made by LG rather than an unknown off shore manufacrturer like the ones that BB&B have.

The only problem may be delivery. If you would please provide your postal zip code I will check on it for you. The advertisement says free delivery, but I am in California and it may be based on that.

FYI: it is sold by Home Depot.

On a personal note: I love the view you have from your place. I could sit and watch people go by for quite a while, but then I live in a rural community too. Im sure that it would be like anything else and become commonplace pretty quick.

Nevermind the zip code. Googled it.

They will deliver tyo your home free. the unit is only about 180.00 +/- with tax and is the same one my sister purchased back in May this year. So far not a single problem with it.

The installation is also easy. It comes with complete instructions. All you need is a screw driver (powered preferably).

Please click here to see the unit.

Im quite sure that you will be much happier with this model rather than the one from BB&B. From what I hear BB&Bs customer service after the sale is abhorent, and the price at HD is much better. I also checked the reviews of the cheapest unit BB&B has and I wouldn't buy one.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi smithy. Thanks for the answer.

bed bath and beyond has the best return policy. Actually they don't have one. So I can just return it after the summer. Plus the store is right by my house. I am broke now so that would be my only option : (

It does not have to be great. It just needs to be decent.

Also I want it to be easy to fit in the wall meaning that Iwant one that woukd be easy to cover the sides of the window next to the ac.

Also I dont kniw what I should put behind it so that it doesn't fall on the streets.

I dont know if a portable one would be better.

Thanks for the compliment on the street view.

Well Ill be sheep dipped! No return expiration! I like that!

No a portable one is not a good idea. Simply because you still have to exhaust the warm air out a window through a tube.

The AC units all come with hardware to mount them in the window and then seal up the sides. The use small expanding side parts that are easy to install.

What keeps the unit from falling out the window is the window itself on the top and a casement that the unit slips into that is mounted to the window frame by screws. The main unit then is slid into the casement and a screw or two keeps it in place.

Considering your plan the cheapo at BB&B will work just fine.

Please be sure to select a positive rating.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Smithy! Thanks for the answer again.

Please look at these 3 pictures.
http:[email protected]/9229217974/
http:[email protected]/9226432097/
http:[email protected]/9226433785/
My girlfriend suggested that. I don't know the name of that in English though. The thing to expand on the wall with the hole for the tube. Do you know the name of that?
Also, could you help me find one of it but that is soundproof? I think that would solve my problem?

Thanks a lot

It is just called a window adaptor.

The problem with these type of air conditioners is they have a catch bucket for the condensation. You have to manually empoty them and if they get too full the unit stops operating till it is emptied. This can happen at inconvient times as you can guess.

These units also do not have a good track record for being reliable. They tend to retain a lot of heat and that burns them up prematurely.

They also use up a lot more electricity as they have to first cool the ambient air, distribute it, and also vent the warm air to the outside through a tube.

They are not really portable as to move it you must disassemble the window adaptor and then reinstall it in the other rooms window.

Basically they are a pain in the backside, not energy efficient, and are prone to breakdowns and control issues.

As for the window adaptor they do not come in soundproof models. all they are is a plastic sheet that expands to fit the window.

Oh did I mention that these have a bad habit of not remaining secure in the window unless you run a couple of screws through them?

Stick with the window model. You will be better off for it.

If you want to sound proof the unit or the window adaptors just gwet some one or two inch thick styrofoam or foam rubber (from an old cushion works) apply some spray on 3M general piurpose adhesive and glue it to the parts you want to soundproof.

NOTE: DO NOT COVER THE AC VENTS! It will over heat the unit and can cause it to fail, or even catch fire in some cases.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**