Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Bosch SHU43C dishwasher. The upper blade no longer

Customer Question

I have a Bosch SHU43C dishwasher. The upper blade no longer turns though plenty of water seems to come out of the ports. The sprayer on the underside of the top of the tub seems not to shoot any water whatsoever. (I've placed bowls under it and found no evidence of any water.) The bottom blade still turns, though seems to be weak. I've checked all the screens I'm aware of, cleaned out the pressure chamber and the float, checked the water inlet valve (which is getting current), and the control panel (visually for any fried parts. All seemed okay). My conclusion is that the circulation pump is the problem, although I have yet to check the electrics associated with it. (My main wall voltage seems to be fine as well). However, everything I've read seems to suggest that such parts rarely fail? How can I test the pump?

Another detail, which may only be coincidental. But the problem started when the dishwasher brackets supporting the machine to the underside of the countertop came off. I readjusted the feet and secured the brackets, leveling the machine, and thought everything was fine. Then I noticed that the dishes on the upper rack were not receiving any water. I then noticed that I pinched the fill hose under the machine(I think it was pinched but it was definitely stuck under the machine). I replaced the hose anyways but the problem remained. Could this have wrecked the circulation pump? Draining the machine seems normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is actually a fairly common problem for Bosch dishwasher, but you're looking at the wrong parts that are possibly causing the problem. You can't test the pump itself since it's running or else water wouldn't be spraying at all. But there is really no way to know if it's running up to speed. That being said, you need to start a cycle and wait 5 minutes. Make sure that the floor of the dishwasher is completely covered in water or else it can't produce the correct amount of pressure. If you're getting enough water and it won't spray out that middle arm or with enough force to move the top wash arm, then you need to replace the impeller seal kit attached to the circulation motor. This part has been redesigned because it has failed so often due to the bearing creating too much resistance for the motor to spin up to speed. Below is a link to a video as well as the part so that you can replace this part.

CLICK HERE for part and video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've run a number of cycles and have never see the floor covered in water since the problem started. I've even added two quarts to see if that would have any effect. There is water but never more than the top of the screen at the bottom of the tub. When it was working, there was plenty of water visible at the bottom of the tub.

Thanks,

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So start a cycle wait 5 minutes, then put enough water in to cover the floor. See if it moves the arms properly then. If so, then you need to replace the electronic water valve because it's not allowing enough water into the tub. If it stil won't wash right, replace the impeller first and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'll try that.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To my surprise, there was a good deal of water at the bottom of the tub after 5 minutes. But the blades don't seem to be turning.

Does that mean I need to replace the impeller?

Thanks,

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, just replace the impeller and you should be good to go again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll replace the impeller and let you know if that fixes the problem. One thing. Can you explain how the impeller affects this problem? I thought it was used only to drain the tub.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is a separate pump for the drain. The impeller is the part that creates the pressure needed to push the water out of the pump and into the wash arms. But is bogs down over time because the bearings begin to slow down causing weaker pressure than is needed to wash the dishes.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. Just to be clear, I need to replace the impeller pump, not just the seals.

Thanks,

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Correct. It's all been re-designed so you have to replace everything that comes in the kit. It won't work right if you just replace half the kit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting for the parts to arrive.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for the update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I received the parts this afternoon. Using the video as a guide, I took the machine apart and got to the impeller, which I discovered was plugged with a paper towel. I also found some debris from a broken dish inside a coupel of the ports. I replaced the parts, put the whole thing back together, started it up and it seemed to work fine for the first five minutes. Then, the flood. I'm guessing I did something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to say where the unit is leaking from, but I would assume it has something to do with the circulation motor is installed since that is what you removed. I'm afraid I won't be much help in fixing the leak without actually being at the house and seeing it, so it's something you'll need to try to work through and if you can't figure it out, you'll need to call a technician out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did notice something when I ran the machine for 5 minutes. When I stopped it and opened the door, I heard a load sucking sound, as if something was sucking in a good deal of air, something I've never heard this machine make before. I think possibly I may not have installed a drain line or pump part properly, though the hoses went on easy enough?

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's just because the unit went into flood mode so the drain pump will run all the time. That's why you're getting that noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll take it all apart tomorrow and start over again.

One last question. There is a looped hose on the right side of the machine that seems not to be connected to anything. Is that an overflow hose? I couldn't find any outlet to connect it to. Could that be the problem?

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is an overflow hose, yes. That should not be a problem if it still has one end connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pump assembly wasn't seated properly. After several tries, I finally managed to get it in place (I believe), but now no water enters the machine. All the hoses and wires are hooked up. And the water line to the machine is fine, but no water appears to enter beyond the water inlet valve (at last I don't see any water running through the hoses or the water pressure valve).

Is this a different problem or the same one?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So most likely it's related to the same issue. If the unit is stuck draining all the time and won't fill, it sounds like the unit is stuck in flood mode. To fix that issue, you need to remove the left side panel and make sure the styrofoam puck is sitting flat inside the flood pan below the tub. If it's raised at all from when you were working on the unit, it will not fill and it will just drain all the time instead.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brilliant! That was the problem. However, it's still leaking like crazy, though the washer is working properly. Water is circulating normally inside the tub. I'm trying to locate the leak but can't find it. It has to pretty considerable. The water seems to be coming from the left side of the machine. The right seems dry. Is it possible I mis-installed the drain pump, although it did click into place, and I assume it wouldn't work if it were not properly connected.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and I hope everything continues to keep working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally fixed the leak and reinstalled the pump unit. I ran it for five minutes, checked inside and saw that there was no water going to the top blade. Back to step one.

Oh well...

Thanks for all your gel. You were great.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what to say. You may need a technician there because maybe you're not getting enough water? Either way at this point you probably need someone actually on-site to help good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I think you're right. I've run out of steam.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
alright, well good luck to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm back. I took your suggestion about the water pressure and did some checking. Everything seemed fine, but I decided to check the water inlet valve. Of course, it was screwed on too tight for me to remove the connection for the hose to check the screen. So I used a Q-Tip and gently massaged the screen. There was some yellow gunk. I ran the dishwasher for 5 minutes and to my amazement, everything seemed to be working. I've got a small load on now to test it.

Thanks again for all your expert help. I'll let you know if the machine is finally running properly again.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, good luck again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I completed a quick wash cycle to test the dishwasher and the dishes came out clean. I believe I have a dishwasher again thanks to your help.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and glad it's all up and running again.