Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator model (RF267ABRS). Water

Customer Question

I have a Samsung French door refrigerator model (RF267ABRS).
Water collects under the pantry and runs down into the freezer where it freezes preventing proper door closing.
What is the cause and how do I fix it?

E-mail answer to (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you please explain what you're calling the "pantry"? Is this inside the refrigerator section or the freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pantry is called the Cool Select Pantry and is a full width drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator section.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the refrigerator section since you later said the water would accumulate in the freezer. Obviously that only happens after the refrigerator has gone on for far too long. This is actually a very common issue with your refrigerator and the water is accumulating under the deli drawer at the bottom of the refrigerator because the drain line is backing up. If you look at part number 13 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Now I want to say that removing this panel can be very difficult. You may need to use a hair dryer and thaw out the panel for 30 minutes or so because sometimes the ice will prevent it from pulling off. There are sometimes 2 screws at the bottom of this panel that you need to remove and then it's just clipped in all the way around so you must pry and pull. Once you have the panel off, pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

CLICK HERE for image

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I pour water down the drain line where is the exit and can I

see the water flow out of the drain line. How do I control the water, can a container fit under the drain line to catch the water? I do have HP air and what precautions are needed when blowing down the drain line? Should the evaporator pan be empty to prevent water spray?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So there is a drain pan below the refrigerator by the compressor which gathers any water that comes out the drain. You don't need to pour gallons of water or anything like that. Once you can pour a cut down the drain and it isn't backing up, you're ready to blow it out with air. Technically you could remove the lower back panel behind the refrigerator and look for the drain line to see the water coming out, but there is really no need to. If the water doesn't back up into the evaporator where the ice is now, then it's draining down into the drain pan. Just blow it out to make sure it's completely clear and then you're good to go again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed part #13 and can see the trough but there does not seem to be a hole. What size should the drain hole be? I tried to run a wire (coat hanger wire) a with no luck. All the metal from drilling through the trough seemed to be there

but the hole into the tubing is not open. It does not seem right. Is the hole very small?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The hole is about the size of a dime or so. The hole will be part part 20-7 on the diagram I gave you a link to. It's below the silver coils directly in the middle.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For your inf: Part 13 is held on with 4 screws two being the screws that hold the center shelf support on an the top one is hidden. There are 2 plugin electric connections which must be unhooked to remove part 13.

We now have good flow down the drain.

Thanks Bill

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, I'm glad you got it all taken care of and the drain is draining properly again.