Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE profile electric cook top. It has dual burner

I have a GE profile electric cook top. It has dual burner unit, and its selector not working. Always one burner is on, doesn't matter which way the selector turns. Cook top's model number is XXXXX thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The burner only turns on if it's getting power which means that the burner itself isn't the problem. The selector switch that you turn to adjust the dual burner has failed and has a stuck contact. You'll need to order and replace the switch itself to fix the issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know where I can order the switch? Can you describe more about how to replace the switch? thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The model you have listed isn't quite correct so I can not say for certain. If you can re-look at the model and get a correct model I can give you a link to the part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's not a valid number. Even GE doesn't recognize that number. JP345 is correct. But your next digit is without a doubt wrong if this is a US appliance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took a picture of the label of my cook top, and will have support staff of justanswer.com forward it to me. I have problem attaching it here.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So, it looks like this is a bit older unit with the control knobs along the side of the cooktop. The entire cooktop will need to be un-installed from the cabinet and then set up on top of a towel or something on the countertop. Pull all the knobs off and remove all the screws around the border of the cooktop. The glass top will then pull up and off.

Now as to which part you need to replace. If the element is on all the time and never shuts off, below is a link to the part you need to replace.

CLICK HERE

If the element only turns on when you turn the burner on but only one of the elements turns on and not both, then you need the selector switch which you can order in the link below.

CLICK HERE

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.