Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Magic chef wine cooler model mcwc44dz top fan area freezes

Customer Question

Magic chef wine cooler model mcwc44dz top fan area freezes up. I unplug and let thaw and it freezes again in a few weeks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it still freeze if the thermostat is turned down to a very low setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried several settings but not the lowest. It takes about 2-3 to show signs of freezing.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
How are the cabinet temperatures? Do they respond accordingly to the different thermostat settings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes they seem to. I have not noticed any issues

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is it getting colder at a setting you have used in the past with no problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, once thawed out it cools fine for about 2-3 weeks, then the temperature seems to get warmer. That is when I notice the top fan has begun to freeze.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the ambient room temperatire pretty high? How is the door gasket sealing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. it is inside out home. The normal temp, is around 70 - 72 degrees. The seal is fine. No moisture showing on the glass door. Other than freezing up, the unit performs well.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is odd that the temperatures are good, indicating that the thermostat is shutting off as it shoud, and the door gasket and ambient temp is good, not allowing excessive moisture to build on the evaporator. The only thing left is the compressor losing efficiency and having to run excessively to maintain temperature. Have you noticed it running all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not noticed it running excessively.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, I am not sure why it is freezing up. I suspect you have a low refrigerant level or the compressor is becoming inefficient. Any other failure would be easily seen and more symptomatic. The only way you will be able to tell is to solder on a valve to access the sealed system and test the pressures. The cost involved to do so will be high, so you may choose to use it as it is until it gets to a point that it is very troublesome and then consider replacement.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now that the unit has defrosted, I noticed the upper fan is not running. Could this be the cause of the freezing up or just a result of the not running due to the freeze up and burning out?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The fan not runnning would certainly allow it to frost up because it is no longer drawing air across the coil. Can you test the votage to the fan? Will it spin if you turn it by hand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does spin freely by hand. I do hot have a voltage tester.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, with no meter, you have a 50% chance of getting the correct part, either the control is not getting power to the fan or the fan is bad. I suspect the fan is bad, but that is only a history-based, educated guess.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can probably borrow a tester. What voltage am I looking for?

If it is not the fan, is there a board that controls it that could be bad?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That fan runs on 12 VDC, the voltage coming from the board that is mounted at the back of the unit, near the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Let me know what you find, if you don't mind. I am curious to know the outcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I removed both fans and connect them to a 12 volt source. Both fans run. I assume it is the controller you spoke of. Would you happen to have a part number. I am having trouble locating the item.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Nice job! The controller is available below.

Controller Main PCB <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, let me know how it goes!