The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My LG ductless ac and heater will not stay on, it keeps flashing

Customer Question

My LG ductless ac and heater will not stay on, it keeps flashing CH 24 - it started doing that after it
was desired last week, it had originally been wired incorrectly with thermostat wire not the 220 needed.
We have had several extended power surges after which it comes back on temporarily, then it starts
flashing CH 24 again after about 15 minutes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Never mind, Lauren. The error codes are all th same for all LG HVAC units.

Unfortunately this error code indicates a problem with the high or low pressure switches. these are mountewd to the refrigerqtion units piping and are not servicable by the end user. It requires a set of guages, vacuum pump, refrigerant, etc. and a license to handle refrigerants from the EPA.

Sorry for the bad news Lauren, but this will require a licensed tech to repair.

Here is the exact code translation from the manual.

"High or low pressure switch open. Low pressure opens at 14 PSI, high pressure at 600 PSI. Flex Multi-ensure indoor unit wiring is not switched".

You have to putr a set of gages on th eunit and watch the pressure readings to determine which switch has failed.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Sorry, Lauren. I was editing my last post when you viewed it. Please check it again. Thank you.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As it turns out the problem was not the high or low pressure switch but one of the two compressors in the unit. It had apparently arced and burned out the connecting wiring harness as well as the ground and it created a hole in the compressor, which now has to be replaced. Unfortunately for us it is OEM and they make/replace them as needed, so we are looking at 2 to 3 weeks for a replacement part.

WOW!! If it arced enough to blow a hole in the compressor housing then you are very lucky that it didnt start a fire. That has to be one hot arc to burn a hole through the housing!

With the wires burnt up like that I am suprides that it sent any error code at all. Arcing of that degree should have fried the control board.

Sorry to hear that it is going to take so long to get a replacement compressor. By the time you get it you may not need it any more.

I wish there were something I could do to help, but much as I wish we could you cant rush the manufacturer.