Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have just cleared the drain on my Maytag French door lower freezer.

Customer Question

I have just cleared the drain on my Maytag French door lower freezer. Now my freezer temp shows 56 degrees but seems to be working fine. What did I do wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Did you remove the back panel inside the freezer when you cleared the drain by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Removed back panel to thaw ice in drain with hair dryer and also removed panel on rear of unit to remove drain tube to clean.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So there is a little white plastic bullet sensor that clips onto a plastic cover in the upper back right section just to the right of the center vent. This is your sensor for the freezer. Make sure it's clipped in securely and then just give it some time to see if it begins reading the correct temperature. If not and it's reading too warm, then the freezer will just over cool. Not a big deal for a short term problem, but either way that sensor will need to be replaced to get it all working properly again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So taking the sensor housing loose from the back cover in order to remove the cover caused the sensor to fail?? It was working fine before. Or how much time is needed for it to start working again? It has been an hour since I plugged the back in.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It definitely could have yes. Sometimes just moving the wires around will cause the sensor to make a bad connection inside the sensor or something like that and then it gives off an incorrect resistance and the refrigerator reads the wrong temperature because of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is required to replace the sensor? I had just unclipped the housing and let it hang. Where does the sensor plug in to ?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The sensor actually clips onto the plastic cover which is clipped onto the back panel in the freezer. There isn't much required to replace the part. You just unclip the old sensor, unplug it from the freezer, and then plug the new sensor in and then re-install the back panel without that plastic cover in place pulling the sensor through the hole. Slide the sensor into the plastic cover and push the plastic cover onto the back panel to clip it all into place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Geese.... Being the non professional I opted to wiggle the wiring that I had disturbed and priase all Holy the sensor started working...... Wow no parts required!! Thanks for trying sell me something but I guess should expect nothing less from a "Pro"

$20 bucks worth of advise that would have just cost me more $$$

What a joke!!!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So I do believe I told that did I not? Two times in fact.

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

That is exactly what I said. That doesn't mean you shouldn't replace the part or make sure the connection is secure. I told you exactly what your problem was and you fixed it 100% because of my advice. Please give credit where credit is due.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating?