Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

The fan on my Sub Zero 632/s is making a constant clicking

The fan on my Sub Zero 632/s is making a constant clicking noise as it rotates. It sounds like it is hitting the edge of the surrounding metal frame but it is not. When spun by hand it makes the noise at the same place of the fan rotation. The fridge is from year 2000. Any thoughts? Thanks, Chris
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The blade may be scraping on the motor itself. Try to slightly bend the blades just a very small amount and see if the noise will go away. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kelly
The blades are not hitting the motor. When I shut the fridge off the fan spins freely without the noise but shortly before the blade stops spinning a clicking thumping noise start until the fan stops spinning. It seems to make this thump 2 times per rotation. Also when fridge on and fan is spinning the fan seems to be slightly out if balance.
When off I can move the blade spindle in and out of the motor. There is about a 1/4" of play in and out.
What do you think?
If that is the case, the motor is at fault, there really is nothing else that would cause that. The motor you need is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!