Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a stove model 790 in black. This was placed new when

Customer Question

I have a stove model 790 in black. This was placed new when the house was built in 2006. The smooth top has cracked for no reason. I cannot use this stove for fear of a short or damage. I feel that this stove should be replaced.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I understand your frustration with this cracked top, it is never convenient when that happens! Sometimes the tops will crack after something is dropped on it, even days or weeks after! Sometimes the glass can be damaged from somoen leaning with too much pressure on a corner of the cooktop. Unfortunately, at 7 years old, the top is no longer under warranty. However, I can help you locate a replacement from the lowest priced retailer and help to replace it! May I have the rest of the model number from the tag behind the drawer, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing has been dropped or anything to cause damage. I am the only person in this house and I very seldom use that side of the stove. There is nothing I have done to cause the crack. I feel that it is a defective product and should be replaced for free. I do not feel that I need to spend any money for a replacement since this is not my fault.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I understand and agree that you would certainly know if something had gotten dropped on the top. It is likely that the glass was just stressed at some point and has now cracked. At seven years old, there is no chance that the glass will be covered under any warranty. So, knowing that, I can help you get the glass and install it, if you would like. I have parts retailers that are very reasonable. We are not affiliated with Sears but are a site that helps people repair their own appliances. Would you like help to repair this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see how the top can be fixed. It is all part of the stove. Does it come off by it's self? I do not want to repair this myself or pay to have it done. I want Sears to replace the stove.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The top comes as an assembly, like the picture below. It is a pretty easy repair. Did you purchase an extended warranty on the range?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not purchase the stove. It was installed new when I purchased the house new. I need to get in touch with someone from Sears and have a few rounds with them. Can you get me in touch with Sears or tell me how and who I may talk with?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course, I am happy to! Their information is below. They will need the model and serial number from the range, though. You will definitely need that so do you have a neighbor or friend that could help to read it from the tag?

Customer Relations Hotline:
1-800-549-4505

Sears National Customer Relations
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot read the numbers on the plate that is on the warming drawer. It is so fine I can't even read it with a magnified glass. I just know my stove is a 790 model - black

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I know, they print the numbers so small. The 790 part only designates who manufactured it, in this case, Frigidaire. The next 8 numbers are critical as well as the serial number. You will need those when you call.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!