The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have an LG top load washer that interior drum light wont

I have an LG top load washer that interior drum light won't go off and gives me 2 error messages IF:A1 IU:O2
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, do you have the model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WM2487HWM

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

That model number comes up a front loader not a top not loader is that correct ? Also those codes dont come up in the service tech sheets. can you recheck those?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model is correct. it is a front loader i mistyped. And the codes are correct IF:AI IU:02. Assumng the straight lines are I or 1 and the full circle is a O or 0.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay let me go through the error codes again and see if I can find yours. I couldnt find those errors so this is most likley a main control issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have you come up with a definitive answer yet?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I cant find those error codes which means the main control board is sending out false errors. I'll let someone else take a look at this, I'm stumped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answer is essentially, I'm stumped. I would like to know what needs replacing and why.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you recently replace the main control board? You also said after you powered the unit down and turned it back on it won't do anything? It wont start a load?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it will start a load. but after load is done, the light stays on, and controls wont work. have to unplug and do all again. No i didn't replace main control board.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

More than likely your issue is with the door lock, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Lock/6601ER1004C/1268254?modelNumber=WM2487HWM When the spin cycle finishes there is an issue with the door latch communicating with the main control board. I am pretty sure the latch is the issue. At any rate, it's worth a try because anything ordered on repair clinic can be returned even if used. If you are satisfied with my answer, I will set up a follow-up with diagrams on how to change the switch. If you plan on rating negative feedback, please contact me regarding the issue and what we can do to change that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So in my original post, i noted the codes it was reading. what do those codes mean? That is the other part of what i am looking for.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.
Those codes could be the board reading out information on the washing machine. Specifically I don't know what they mean but I have installed boards and those codes came up, which is why I asked if you installed a board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Still not a definitive answer, just I think this is it. If someone can tell me the codes that would be great.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.
This worked for this other customer, go to this link. http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/1tl8o-wm2487hwm-front-load-lg-washer-tell.html

You either have a bad door latch or control board. Knowing what IF:A1 IU:O2 means is irrelevant. They are not error codes, they are information regarding the washing machine.

Good luck with your washer.
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Try running the QC service test and see if anything fails(see below for instructions).
Please note the first display. It indicates the units model designation. The second one you are seeing is the control board version. These numbers and letter combination have nothing to do with error codes. Error codes are two digit combinations not 3, 4, or 5.
Please see the error charts below. As you will notice there are no codes anywhere near the IF:A1 or IU:02.
When you start the QC test be sure to listen for the lock engageing. If you do not hear it lock then that is the problem as both previous experts mentioned.
In that case replacing the lock will resolve your problem.
Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances