Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kenmore elite gas dryer that wont heat. The drum

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite gas dryer that won't heat. The drum turns and the lights come on also there is gas to the dryer. What should I check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can I get the complete model number of the dryer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

796.79272000

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have no info on this model, I will opt out another expert will be along to help
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Do you have a meter to test for continuity with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to use it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure how to use it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! On the blower housing is a thermal fuse that has likely opened. It can be tested for continuity to verify its failure. It is shown as number K560 in the diagram, pictured below. If it is open, you will need to replace it. If it tests good, please let me know and we can proceed.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I have to take the back off to access this?

Do I disconnect the gas and vent?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no. The top comes off, then the front control panel, followed by the front panel of the entire machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I need a little more information, how do I get the top off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I have to leave. Is there a way I can reconnect with you later this afternoon?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I will post disassembly instructions, you will get an email notification and can return from that link.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The video below will show you how to disassemble the dryer!

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that dossn't look anything like my dryer, are they all the same?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The disassembly is the same, yes.