Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE microwave model number JES1290ML01. The lights

Customer Question

I have a GE microwave model number JES1290ML01. The lights came on and the turntable turned, but nothing was happening. I replaced 2 switches (the bottom 2) where the door shuts, and now I get a message saying the door is open. How do I fix that??? there are 2 more switches at the top of the column the switches are on. Do I need to replace them too?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Are you certain you got the wires back on the switches correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There were 2 wires on one switch, 3 on the other. They can only go on one way, so yes, I am sure I put them back the same way they came off.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The one with three wires is the one I would question. What color wires are on that switch, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would have to open up the microwave again. Give me a few minutes. Do you want a picture of the "column" I am talking about too? Might as well while I have it open.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On that switch, there should be a blue, gray and white wire. The white oges on CO, blue goes on NO and gray goes on NC, is that how you have it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are pictures of 3 of the switches.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/MommiesMinute/media/DSC_0645_zpsa4186a05.jpg.html

Here is the top switch

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/MommiesMinute/media/DSC_0644_zps88b64aec

It looks like the switch with 3 wires are white, blue and grey, but they have big things on the end of them.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so all those connectors are set, you can't miswire. That only leaves the top switches as suspect or the latch is not actuating them with the door closed. Secure the latch assembly back in place and close the door. Does the door actuator make contact with the door switch buttons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is a door actuator? The little hook thing that keeps the door latched?

They do make contact, but the bottom switch facing the outside will engage, but does not disengage when the door is shut. It's like ringing a doorbell; you push it in and let it out an the bell rings. This only pushes in and holds it. I'll put it back together and see if I can get another picture. Would that help?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
All the switches should have their "plungers" or little buttons held in when the door is closed. Is the switch moving when the door latch comes down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. It is held down when the door is closed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so all switches are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as far as I can tell, all the switches are held down when the door is closed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that only leaves switch issues. I believe replacing the other switches will correct the door issue.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And if it doesn't? Is there something else I should check out?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There really is not anything else if the wires are correct, which they are, and the switches are getting actuated. The control could do it, but usually does not fail like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Thank you for the information. I hope the switches do the trick or I will be shopping for a new microwave!

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX well! Let me know how it goes!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It didn't go well. I replaced the 2 other switches, and they keep shorting out the fuse. Now nothing works.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
One of the switches is wired incorrectly, the monitor switch. It is the middle switch, shown in the picture below. Are there two or three wire terminals on that switch and which wires do you have connected (color)?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 wires, black and white with a blue plastic shield over it. The black one goes in the middle of the switch, the blue one goes on the post sticking up.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the switch like the one below and the wire terminals in the same place?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, same switch. There are 3 like that, and one with 2 prongs at the end.

The middle wwitch is the one that is shorting everything out. I tried replacing it with an old switch, and it did the same thing. Before I replaced the middle and top switch, I would get a message saying the door was open. Now it shorts out, even with the original switch in there. Why would it do that?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The schematic shows the wires on that switch as black and white. Could you have miswired it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, tried it both ways with the same result. Could there be anything else that would cause that switch to short out the fuse?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, let's look at the other wiring.

The top switch should have a white/black double wire and a red/red double wire to it.

The middle switch should have a black and white wire to it.

The bottom switch should have a gray and a white, black double wire to it.

There is also a secondary switch that should have a blue and a green wire to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is how it is all wired. I currently have the middle switch disconnected though, but I know how the wires go in.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so it blows the fuse when plugged in or when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as soon as you plug it in

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and not if you disconnect which wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

correct

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Which wires can be disconnected so it will not trip the fuse, sorry?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The black and white ones, on the middle switch

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
So what is happening is that the middle switch is it is closed when it should be open. Can you test that switch for continuity with the door closed and the wires off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by test for continuity? With a meter? I won't have one until after work tonight. What would I be looking for?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
We just want to see what that switch is doing. When the plunger is down, those wires on that switch should not have any contact with each other. There are markings on the switch that say CO, NO & NC. The wires should be on CO and NC, are they?