Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE ESH25XGPA side-by-side refrigerator. The cooling

I have a GE ESH25XGPA side-by-side refrigerator. The cooling elements in the freezer have been frosting up for several months. I have replaced the defrost thermostat, the defrost heating element, and the mother board, but the problem persists. All the wiring harnesses are well seated and there don't appear to be any broken wires. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Have you checked the door gasket? it's likely that warm air is getting into the freezer causing a excessive build up of frost.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The door gasket seems fine. It does not appear the heating element is coming on at all. I currently have the back, inside of the freezer open and accessible. I have not defrosted the elements and have been checking for voltage at the heating element and thermostat. Would this be AC or DC voltage?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

On the heating element it would be AC.

When you say you replaced the defrost thermostat do you mean the one clipped to the top of the evaporator that looks a little like this.

And to clarify the only other parts replaced were the heating element and the control board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is the thermostat clipped to the top of the evaporator (& looks similar to the picture). And I also replaced the heating element and control board.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok the problem here (common one will be the defrost sensor) the thermostat is a safety device but the sensor is what will control the defrost cycle.

The sensor looks like this and is located clipped to the top of the evaporator also.

graphic

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try replacing that sensor. Is there a way to follow-up after trying that rather than starting a new string? Can I follow-up after providing my rating?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
This will fix your problem, it's the only thing left it can be, you can come back any time after rating me for additional questions by bookmarking this page or clicking on the link in one of the emails you have been sent with my responses :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.