Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

my sub zero 501r is not cooling and there is oil in the drip

my sub zero 501r is not cooling and there is oil in the drip pan...why?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is the compressor running and the fans inside ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the compressor is running and the fans.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

appliance tech told me i need a sealed system change out. What does that mean?

You have a leak in the sealed system ,that is the tubing and coils that the freon runs thru , the leak will be in that coil above the drain pan ,that is why there is oil in the system ,and no cooling ,because there isnt any freon in the system any more . that stretch of tubing needs to be replaced, the whole system needs to be blown out with nitrogen, and vacuumed out with a refrigeration vacuum pump , recharged with freon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX compressor or the entire sealed system dies not need to be replaced, correct? Just the tubing? How much should this repair cost?
$300 -$400 typically ,as long as the tubing wasnt immersed into the water for along time and blow a lot of drain water into the whole system ,if it was just leaking above the drain pan ive been able to change that section of tubing and blow it out really well and had no issues afterwards ,I only remember one where the system was so contaminated it needed extra parts
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By the way, do I need sub zero tech or can any qualified refrigerator repair company do the job?
Any tech can do that , you dont need auth SZ tech but it may be better because they have probably seen that repair previously