Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an older Maytag washer that is acting a little "funky".

I have an older Maytag washer that is acting a little "funky". We have had it for years (around 20), and I don't think that I've even had to replace a belt! Whats happening is that it will suddenly stop and cannot be restarted and then will come "alive" again and continue where it left off. My Wife one time rapped the instrument module and it came on, and I jiggled the dial a few times and nothing, but let it sit for a moment in the OFF position, then turned it on, and "wahlah", it came on again. Any thoughts?

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you hear any chattering coming from the timer? thx

Customer:

No, it just stops. It works fine now, and may for several uses, but then it will stop again.

Customer:

There is no chattering or noise of any kind coming from the timer.

Randy 43 :

and the motor doesnt grind or growl ? no hot smells?

Customer:

None.

Randy 43 :

if you push on the lid will it start? or you havent tried that?

Customer:

Do you mean front-to-back?

Customer:

I did try opening and closing the lid a couple of times, but I don't think that it helped. I could have moved it when it started to work??

Randy 43 :

20 year old machines get faulty timer contacts ,the bi metal contacts wear out and get pitted ..if you have to bang on the console and it starts then i would suspect the timer as being the issue , but there is also a little micro switch on the lid switch that can do the same thing the plunger gets weak and wont make contact internally

Randy 43 :

Timer - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

you can make sure the plug that plugs into the timer is seated properly and no bad wire connections

Customer:

So, can I use some contact cleaner on the contacts, then replace the micro switch?

Randy 43 :

Lid Switch Assembly - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this is the latch switch if you have a meter you can make sure you hear that red plunger click when the lid is lifted ,and there is continuity thru it

Randy 43 :

that red plunger can wear down and not make contact as well

Customer:

Got it. I'll give that a try. With a machine this old, I wasn't sure if it was worth fixing if I had to replace the entire control module, but this doesn't look too bad. I may also just see if it begins to act up more regularly.

Randy 43 :

with the timer it has internal long rods that are not made to be removed ..you can only really check that the plug is tight and that each wire is snug by pulling on each one ..if the micro switch is ok ,then change the timer

Customer:

Great, I'll do that.

Randy 43 :

good luck,any questions let me know

Customer:

Will do. Thank you very much. I'll be giving you full stars.