Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

ASKO D3250 dishwasher quits after first cycle. When I open

Customer Question

ASKO D3250 dishwasher quits after first cycle. When I open door the lights are flashing and the detergent dispenser is not open. I manually open it, reset and restart. It sometimes completes the cycle but usually quits again. It takes several efforts for me to get cycles completed. It is 6 years old. I'm sure that it needs a new gasket at dispenser, but wonder if there are other issues.
Thanks,
Robin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I suspect you have an issue with the control. However, before we discuss replacing any parts, let's attempt to "reboot" the control. Press and hold the "Start/Stop" button for about 5 seconds and wait for the machine to go through its routine. When it stops, turn the breaker off for about 30 minutes and then see if a full cycle will work. Let me know what happens, please.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

Good try and I was hopeful. I tried that yesterday and it did not work. It seems to be quitting more lately, even when it is manually restarted. It finally completes the cycle about 10-20% of the time after restarted. I will be happy to increase your pay if I can get this fixed without a major outside repair bill, buying a new machine is still on the list.

Thanks,

Robin

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that did not work for you. I know how frustrating it can be when you have appliance trouble! I do think it may be worthwhile looking at the door switch before replacing the control. If the door pops open, even just a little bit that may not be noticeable, it will stop the machine. Does the door lock shut pretty securely when it is closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes maybe it doesn't close as tightly, maybe. I will run another cycle and see if I can feel a difference in tightness after it quits. It will probably run a complete cycle this time, of course.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Push very hard on the door when you run a cycle to make sure it is closed and see how many cycles it will run in a row without failing. There is no time limit on this question, so you don't have to worry about that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

I think that you are onto something. I ran 2 complete cycles with steady pressure on the door, with a leaning chair and weight rig. Now what, do I change the latch?

Thank you, Sir.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! I would recommend replacing the latch, it has likely worn just enough that the door switch connection is being opened during the cycle. The latch is accessed by removing the screws from around the inner door and separating the panels. The correct latch for your model is pictured and available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Door Latch Assembly $35.35 <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly,

I ordered the part and it should be here on Wednesday. I'll let you know after I replace it. This Just Ask is a brilliant idea for both you and me. I'll pay extra when it all works out.

Robin

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I will be here once you receive the part if you run into trouble. Just be sure to turn the breaker off before taking the door apart.

I agree with you, I love this site and use it extensively myself! I started as a customer, in fact! There are so many categories and experts on site that you get real used to having help available any time of the day! I have learned to do many things I probably would not have attempted but did with some help and encouragement from the experts I have dealt with, mostly in the automotive category. I use the veterinary category a lot, too. If you get time, browse through the different categories. If you see one you are an expert in, feel free to put in an application! This site is amazing as both a customer and an expert!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Kelly, I got the part. Biggest question is which screws do I take off to get to the latch? I just want to make sure that I don't take the whole wooden cabinetry off of the DW. There are screws at the top and some around the edge that look like they attach the wood?

Thanks,

Robin

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You may need to remove the wood panel to get to the latch, it depends on the panel. There are several different mounting options but I usually remove the wood panel so as not to scratch it during disassembly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

I got around to putting the latch on the DW today. It looks like the spring in the latch was a bit corroded and therefore it did not always spring closed. You were exactly right! My 17 yo son and I completed the project in about 20 minutes and we were heroes for a day to my wife! Thanks for your professionalism and patience. I'm leaving you an extra $20 and I hope that it all goes directly to you. Can I request you next time, or are you on a rotation?

I wish you all the best, Thanks again,

Robin Peavler, MD, FACEP

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Robin, thank you so much for your generosity, that is greatly appreciated! I am so glad that you were able to get the dishwasher fixed. It is always a great feeling to do it yourself and learn in the process.

It would be an honor to help you with any future appliance issues. As a matter of fact, Just Answer has just added to the site a feature, specifically for the customer, that allows the option to return to the same expert that has helped in the past. I would be flattered if you requested me in the future!

As a side note, I see you are an MD. The health category is always looking for experts, so if you are ever interested in sharing your knowledge and making a few bucks, you should consider joining the site! The link below will give you more information. Again, thank you so much, I have enjoyed working with you!

Expert Link <----- CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT DETAILS!