Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Freezer still works but not cold enough to make ice cream hard.

Freezer still works but not cold enough to make ice cream hard. Cleaned coils of dust on bottom and removed frost from thermostat. This is an older side by side model.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door and look at the lower panel behind the shelf's, need to know if you see frost on the panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No frost, and I already took the panel off and defrosted the small amout of frost around the thermostat.

You saw frost on the evaporator but only at the top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Ok this means there is a leak in the sealed system, You would need to get a qualified tech to come find the leak and seal it, then recharge the system with refrigerant.

Sorry it's not better news wood.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was my guess, $50 to confirm it now what should the recharge cost when the repair guy comes?

Between $150 and $200 depending on region.

You should call around different company's to get estimates.

Thanks