Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

viking refrigerator model # XXXXX of the sudden

Customer Question

viking refrigerator model # XXXXX

All of the sudden this morning the beeping sound was ON, the doors were closed. Opening the freezer and refrigerator they were warm and food defrosting ice melting.
put both refrigerator and freezer tepm to the max and nothing!!!

The engine/compressor or what ever you call it is really hot to the touch, what should i do? Cannot get a repair man right away
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Unfortunately there is nothing you are going to be able to do other then try to find a repair guy that will come out today, The likely problem is either a bad start relay or the condensor fan is not running, These parts are easily replaced but you wont find a appliance parts store open today :(

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I keep it at max and running until then? Will this cause additional problems? How long does it take for a refrigerator to reach the desired temperature?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Normally from start up a unit will take up to 8 hours to get to temp, In this case you should put your food in a ice chest or another unit if you have one in the garage and shut the power off, Both problems could cause damage to the compressor if left on leading to a much higher repair bill :(

Sorry it's not better news but these things always seem to happen on a holiday.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

One more question about maintenance for this refrigerator, was there anything I could have done to prevent this? ex, vacuming the compressor because i am sure dust gets in there, what kind of maintenance is required for this refrigerator?

Do you know if this is a common problem with this model? I bought it in november 2004, if I were to change it, which refrigerator would you recommend?

thank you

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No there is nothing you could have done, a power surge or age normally causes this problem.

Normally I have found GE or Whirlpool a very reliable product sophie.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.