Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Have a Maytag GS 2625 GEKS, fridge cools down to minus 4 deg

Have a Maytag GS 2625 GEKS, fridge cools down to minus 4 deg Celcius over night, goods partially frozen. Temp is set at "warmest " level (1).
Freezer works alright, set at (3).

Also who does service of Maytag appliances in the Brisbane ares (Australia) ?

Rgds Rainer

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..this is a freezer on the bottom model ,fridge on top correct

Randy 43 :

the fridge section cools overnight only ? or is it constantly too cold?

Customer:

Hi Randy, no it is a side by side model.

Customer:

Freezer is working fine, fridge cools down to extrem temps. Over night/next morning we see some minus 4 deg C in the fridge, partially products are frozen. During day time (open close) it workls around -0.5 to +4 deg C.

Randy 43 :

is it in room temp?

Randy 43 :

is it freezing throught the fridge ,at the top and bottom or just at the bottom?

Randy 43 :

throughout ,sorry

Customer:

So fridge is permanently too cold. I run trough all the trouble shooting sections, cleaned the cooling coils and the fan off all dust, also ran the diagnostic programe. Fridge is set to the warmest temperature, but it does not matter, seems to be no difference if set to min or max. I have an external temp probe in the fridge top is mostely warmer as the cold falls down. Outlet of the cold air is on the top.

Randy 43 :

ok thx , and in the freezer section can you hear the fan running at the middle back of the freezer section ? and is there any light frost on the rear panel of the inside freezer section ? i know its the fridge issue ,but both sides work hand in hand ,thx

Customer:

i can hear the fans and the compressor running, also the damper working. The outlet for the cold air in the fridge is a bit icy, but the rear panel does not show any frost. Could be the thermostate ?

Randy 43 :

those have a thermistor that senses the temps but the damper at the rear left of the fridge section opens and closes depending on the temp, do you know if that damper is closing properly and not getting stuck open ?i find if the fridge is too cold 80% of the time it is a sticky damper staying open to long allowing air to enter in from freezer too long , thermistors are pretty reliable but not impossible to fail ,if its really intermittant i would change both but i would suspect that rear damper as sticky and especially if there is ice around it

Randy 43 :

the only part that regulates the fridge temps is the ref sensor and the damper ..everything else is in the freezer

Randy 43 :

the fan blows a small percentage of air into the fridge section to satisfy the thermistor/sensor which in turn closes the damper

Customer:

ok Randy, the service programme allows to open and to close the damper (on/off), doing so I can hear a mechanical noise. But it looks that there is no access to he damper unless dismantling the fridge from the rear. Any other tests I could do or do I need to have a service guy to check that out ? THX

Randy 43 :

you can get at the damper thru the fridge side top left housing , it may be the motor you are hearing

Randy 43 :

Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

it is number 7

Randy 43 :

as a test ,what you can do ,for a few days is wedge something ,foam tape or putty etc in behind the damper door so it can only open a third of the way no matter what ,and see if the temps become more consistent ?

Customer:

ok can try this one out. Any other ideas from your side I can check on ?

Randy 43 :

if the damper is ok ,then it can only really be the thermistor but its been years since i had to change one ..other than that nothing else that should cause the fridge to get too cold

Customer:

ok Randy. Not sure were you are located, but if I need a tech are you familiar in the Brisbane region to recommend one ?

Randy 43 :

im sorry, im very far from there and dont have the listings for that area, but a lot of companys do maytag ,stick with a well established company who has been around for years