Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My Mothers Maytag Dryer Model 5620TQ0 wont start. Ive confirmed

My Mother's Maytag Dryer Model 5620TQ0 won't start. I've confirmed the push-button start switch is good (in both chime on and off positions) and the door interlock switch is good (continuity test with multimeter and all wires/connectors attached). Problem manifests in all dry cycles on the timer dial. Where should I look next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me the model number from the sticker inside the door please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5620TQ0

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The model number will start with letters followed by numbers, can you look at the sticker around the door, it should have the full model number and serial number. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - it's MED5620TQ0

TYPE: DWSR-ELE-2406026-FM54

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks Rick can you give me a minute to look that up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok pull the machine out from the wall, Take the panel off in the rear, You will see the thermal cut off mounted to the side of the heater housing, Pull the wires off then test these parts with a ohm meter, They should read continuity, If the hi limit or cut off read open then you have found the problem and will need to replace it.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If your high limit's read good then the problem will be the termal fuse, this is located on the blower housing and looks like this.

graphic

To check this pull the wires off then test it with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

Click here to order the replacement

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuse (as illustrated - thank you) checks good for continuity.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You have checked the fuse and it is good with the wires pulled off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Sir.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok set your meter to the VAC setting then test the power where it hooks up to the machine, First test each hot (outside wires) to the neutral (middle) you should see 120v on each hot, then test across the 2 hots you should read 240v, if you dont see 240v then you have a fuse or wiring issue.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Confirmed good power 120 A leg, 120 B leg and 240 across both.

Sigh, I'm glad I wasn't on drugs when I did my earlier testing and couldn't figure it out..... Maddening..... Should I look for power at the fuse when the start switch is pushed - or somewhere else to see if continuity is good but fails only when AC is applied?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No the problem if the thermal fuse, power, and door switch are good is going to be the timer has a bad contact. The timer will need to be replaced. I have looked this part up and no one seems to have it in stock except the one I have included the link below. Once the timer is replaced you should be all set.

Click here to order the timer

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for your help Sir! Sincerely appreciated.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Rick, Have a great 4th!

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.