Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a GE Profile Refrigerator that is about 10 years old.

I have a GE Profile Refrigerator that is about 10 years old. When trying to adjust the freezer temperature, the (manual) control came apart and now the freezer is not cold enough. I've taken the back panel off, but cannot figure out how to reassemble the controls. Any advice or diagrams available?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 32 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the model number of the unit to better assist you ?
I need to have some type of idea what product I am dealing with to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TFH24PR is on a sticker on the fridge door. (btw- its a side by side) Does that help?

Thank you the TFH24P helps but that only narrows it down to 15 differant units .

If you open the freshfoor door and on the right side wall should be the model serial sticker .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay.... it wasn't there, but i did find it. Unfortunately, it's right where the fridge door closes and it's partially worn away.... this is my best guess on what it says:

TFH24PRSM AA (model?)

TL240844 (serial?)

Great this is the Model #TFH24PRSMAA

The knob came off or the actual shaft the knob slip onto is now loose ?

This may help http://www.partadvantage.com/lookup/188651/1337226

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see the part that came off in the diagram. The number on the part is 162D6171 (and there is #2 up above it).

I don't know exactly what happened (as it was my husband who broke it). When he was adjusting the freezer temp. something broke and now when you slide the knob it just slides back and forth with no resistance and doesn't actually set the temp.

I removed the knobs and when I took the cover off from in front of the controls, I found the part that's sort of "T" shaped and the with the number given above. It was just sitting inside the control cover, not attached to anything. The refrigerator temp control was not affected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just looked again and found the part on the diagram... 428

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see how it's supposed to fit together, but it's not "clicking" into place and there's still no resistance on the control. Is it supposed click into something back there?

#428 should snap into #426
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got it together, but it doesn't "snap". When I move the damper, there is no resistance and it's quite loose- as if it will fall off if moved. is that how it is supposed to be?

when I said snap, it goes to geather ,meaning no screws or any fastners

good glad you got it

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line