Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Our Maytag washer keeps putting up the code F 2. It doesnt

Customer Question

Our Maytag washer keeps putting up the code F 2. It doesn't want to drain or spin. It has trouble finishing the wash cycle and the rinse cycle. When it says F 2 we can sometimes get it to work by hitting the stop button and then start it again. Every once in a while it will go thru the whole wash and work, but that is getting less frequent. It often takes a whole day to get one load done.
I've cleaned out the drain filter at the bottom front of the washer, which helped in the past. I cleaned out the filter about 2 wks ago and it seemed to help at first, but then the washer kept acting up. I checked the filter yesterday and there wasn't much in it.
It really doesn't want to drain or spin. Often it says Suds and I've been only adding a small amount of soap and it is always the HE required soap. It would be great to get a tip on how to fix this machine. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..hi do you have a model number? . have you done anything to clean out any possible suds or just used small amount of soap? thx

Customer:

I can't find a model #. The manual just says Maytag Front loading automatic washer. I don't know how to clean out any possible suds, but I've been using very small amounts for about 2 months now. Every once in a while my husband starts a load and he uses more soap than I do. Right now it is saying F 15 and when I try to hit the pause and then start button it does nothing but beep and the door is locked closed.

Randy 43 :

the model is usually around the door frame ,but with the door locked that is impossible, you dont have a manual or bill of sale that may have the model?

Randy 43 :

how old is the washer?

Customer:

About five or six yrs old.

Randy 43 :

when it is washing do you see suds in the window ? is there a lot of white in the window? to clean out any suds you can run 2-3 cups of vinegar thru the machine with no clothes and hot water ,or buy a anti foam cleaner from any appliance parts store

Customer:

There haven't been suds in the window. It said suds yesterday but not today. If there is a drain problem, would vinegar help clean out hoses, etc? If I can't get it to go thru a cycle, I am not sure if it will even work.

Customer:

Sometimes we think it is over loaded and we take out items and then sometimes it will finish a cycle. Other times it says add a garment and we think, well we don't want to do that because it wouldn't work with even a medium load. Right now I unplugged it for a few minutes because I am so frustrated with the beeping and flashing of lights and locked door.

Randy 43 :

if you tried everything and there isnt any foreign blockage in the drain pump and there is excessive suds ,then you can have a faulty drain pump itself , the impellers can become loose and overheat and not drain or drain very slow , you can try unplugging for a few minutesthen try a rinse and spin cycle to see if water drains and door opens ..then try a load with no clothes , water should be clear , if all ok , i would really think the drain pump is stripped

Randy 43 :

f-15 is excessive resets ,board picks up on that and brings up the code

Customer:

Several yrs ago I had a repairman out because it was saying F 2. The filter at the bottom front of the washer wash full of junk, so he showed me how to clean the filter. I've done it a few times. He told me to not wash anything with dog hair on it, but we have 5 dogs so everything we own had dog hair on it. I told the guy who owned the appliance store when we bought it, that we have dogs and wash a lot of blankets, towels and dog beds. It was the reason we bought the biggest one we could afford.

Customer:

So if I get the door open, should I remove the clothing and try to run a cycle with vinegar?

Randy 43 :

if you never had that before ,only F2 and suds then i would think the drain pump is bad , that is the way to clean the drain ,he was correct but over time the impeller can loosen off and just spin on the shaft

Randy 43 :

you can try the vinegar , but if you get the code ,then the part is necessary

Customer:

So if the drain pump is bad, is that a part we can buy and replace ourselves?

Customer:

So the code F2 means the pump is bad?

Randy 43 :

yes ,it can be changed but to get the part number the model number is XXXXX to get the right one

Randy 43 :

F2 is along drain error, either plugged up ,too much soap or a bad pump all can bring up that error

Randy 43 :

as well as suds can as well if no suds in machine

Customer:

Is there a schematic for where the drain pump is and what it looks like? My husband thinks he can do the job but said if it is easy to get a diagram of it, that could help with the job.

Randy 43 :

the drain pump is that impeller that you clean out ,that the other tech showed you how to clean , you just remove the lower access panel and it right there , but id need the model to get you the right one

Customer:

For several months now I've been using the biodegradable no perfume no dye detergent could that cause extra build up in the machine.

Randy 43 :

not unless it is really noticeable ,lots of soap in the window ? if you say it is clear ?probably not then

Randy 43 :

as long as it is HE soap

Customer:

The fact that it doesn't drain all the way, could that be either bad pump or clogged drain hose? Could it be clogged on the exit after the little filter that the tech showed me how to clean?

Randy 43 :

not very likey , not impossible but it is a larger diameter hose after the pump , it is usually in the pump or a bad pump

Customer:

Do you think it is probably a bad pump on a machine this age (5-6 yrs). It gets a lot of use. I wash lots of loads of clothing, towels, blankets, etc. I mean it seems likely that it could wear out.

Randy 43 :

if you have the lower access panel off(3 screws ) you can see the pump and you need to swap the hoses over to the new pump , double check the hoses at that point

Randy 43 :

yes, ive seen it happen quite a few times ,

Customer:

Can you recommend where we

Customer:

could buy a pump and do you know about the average cost of the pump.

Randy 43 :

but that is why i asked you to make sure soap and and pump not clogged first

Customer:

Tonight I will take the load out and try to run a load with vinegar thru it. Would that help with clearing out any clogs. How much vinegar? 2 cups?

Randy 43 :

you buy a pump online or any parts store ,it isnt hard to get , most places stock them but without the model number you cant get the proper one ,that number is XXXXX if you can get door to open

Randy 43 :

2-3 cups

Customer:

Just dump it in side the washer? or some in the detergent compartment and some in the washer?

Randy 43 :

inside the washer

Customer:

I will endeavor to get the door open and start this new plan. Thanks.

Randy 43 :

ok sounds good ,let me know if any problems

Customer:

how would I get hold of you

Randy 43 :

just respond back to this same question any time

Customer:

okay, I added it to my favorites bar, hoping I can get back. Thanks

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy 43,

The local appl. repair place can order the drain pump. The cost is $172. Does that seem like the right price?

For a 5 or 6 yr old machine is that worth it or should we pop for a new machine.

Last night I ran an empty load with vinegar and it worked just fine. This morning my husband said run another empty load with vinegar just to be sure it is cleaned out. So I did and it keeps putting up the F2 code. Does that sound like it is the drain pump?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes if it is all clear and you keep getting the F2 i would say that is the likely culprit ,did you get a part number of the pump i can check with the site i use on price?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We ordered the part. Got it for $125 plus shipping. 2 to 5 days. We hope my husband can install it and that it fixes the prob. Thanks, T

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
any problems let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Randy 43,

We just installed the new drain pump and ran the first cycle, empty except for Vinegar because the machine has been a bit smelly, because of the water not draining. It seemed to work initially, but now, still in the "wash" cycle it keeps F2 ing. Any suggestions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy 43,

Please let us know what you think could be the problem. We installed the new drain pump, but the water still won't drain. Could there be a problem with the draining in the pipe after the pump? Any solutions? Sincerely, Teresa and Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems like the site is trying to charge me for getting another answer concerning the same question. The problem isn't yet solved, but we would like info on our next course of action, Thank you, Teresa R.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
It shouldnt be plugged after the drain pump ,when you had the hoses off did you check those hoses for any obstructions ? you can blow thru them or push a soft wire through to make sure they are clear..if the water can easily make it to the drain pump it should drain it fine as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When my husband gets home, I'll see if he can work on the pipes after the drain pump. I ran one load today. I am still working on getting it to finish. After a week of no washer, the pile is growing.

I did move the drain hose to drain into my back yard so I can monitor the amt. of water exiting the machine. In each cycle, wash, rinse spin it has been showing F2. Each time it does that I hit stop then start to get it to continue. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
the hose from the outer tub to the pump ,check that on the tub side ,remove the clamp and run your fingers into the outer tub ,maybe a sock or something in there partially plugging up ,if it is always F2 that is a slow drain error ,it has to be plugging up somewhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the hose from the bottom of the washing tub, before it even gets to the drain pump seems to have a round hard thing that I can feel with my fingers thru the rubber. Is that normal. It feels like a ball. Is that what it is supposed to feel like.

My husband took off the hoses after the drain pump and there were no blockages. We are getting pretty frustrated at our lack of progress. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Thru the hose they sometimes put in a inline filter to catch some lint , if you take that hose off and check that hard piece ,make sure you get that clamp back on right , sometimes it can be tricky ..if the water drains and you can hear it all drain out and you are still getting the F@ then i have had a couple with a faulty pressure switch ,the pressure switch is not sensing that the water is gone and continues to think it is full of water ..when it is draining good you can hear and see the water all gone and a steady flow of water out of the hose , but if it is a dribble and the F2 , there is still a blockage , but check that tub to pump hose first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally we took the whole machine apart last night and found a big blockage of material and dog hair at the base of the tub. we removed that and put it mostly back together. We still have the back off until we are sure it is all working right. I did two loads last night and it seemed to work fine. I'll have to check for leaks before we put it all completely back the way it was.

My husband was really close to throwing in the towel and buying a new washer, but I think we have a handle on it. Thank you, Teresa R

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
thats the way those are , it usually blocks off in a few certain spots but not always , ,good idea running it with the covers off , make sure those clamps are on good and straight , you should be good now