Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

my freezer was left open for 4 hour then it was running 24/7.

my freezer was left open for 4 hour then it was running 24/7. So we defrosted it for 3 days and the restarted it at mid range temperatures. It is still running often even without opening it much. I even recleaned the coils fins. I noticed when iwas on my knees that the compressor was very hot. What should I do to have the refrig run more efficiently and not consistently.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number ? is this a frost free model or a manual defrost unit? how old is the freezer ? and also is there a fan beside the compressor ? sorry about all the questions ,thx randy

Customer:

the model # XXXXX XXXXX I'm not sure is is frost free or manual. This unit is about 8 or 10 years old. Their is a fan next to the compressor.

Randy 43 :

ok, thx and the fan is running when the compressor is on?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Actually the fan was running but I don't know if the compressor is on or not how do you know?

Randy 43 :

this is a reg freezer /fridge according to model number? inside the freezer section at the rear panel half way down ,do you see any frost building up ? and can you also hear a different fan running in the freezer section?

Customer:

I don't see any frost building up but their is a fan running at the half way point in the freezer.

Randy 43 :

so all the fans and compressor are running ,how are the temps? in the freezer and the fridge ?

Customer:

in the freezer I set it at zero and ice packs are frozen. I the refrig the temp is at 33 and the beer is not as cold as I want it.

Randy 43 :

33 is pretty cold for a fridge , they are normally 37-38

Randy 43 :

is it hot where you live ?

Customer:

Temperature here is 84 to 89 and humid

Randy 43 :

everything mechanical is running when it is supposed both fans and compressor , temps dont seem out of range , but a older a fridge gets the less efficient it gets . fridges do work harder in the summer when it is hot and humid , unless you want to get into expensive compressor repairs ,which can run $600-$700 or more ? if you have a amp meter? the amperage on a compressor that is working efficient is around 1 amp or so ,if a fan wasnt running it would cause everything to work harder , but if both are ? then its just a case of surrounding temps and age of fridge

Customer:

What do you mean by expensive compressor repair? Could there be a problem with the compressor if so could you expand on your generalization of the compressors and its problems and the costs involved to repair it..

Randy 43 :

compressors work and draw amperage .that is how you check them ,with a amp meter and see how much amerage they are drawing , 1 amp is good but anything above 1.5 -2 or above the compressor is working harder to do the same job maintaining temperature ,that fan by the compressor is there to cool the freon down as well as the compressor , to change a compressor reqs specialized equipment , it would need to be welded in , and the freon recharged , this all reqs refrigeration equipment and freon,that is why it is expensive ..

Randy 43 :

in those conditions ,89 and humid a fridge will always work harder

Randy 43 :

most fridges that are on their last legs go in the summer , not saying yours it at that stage ,but a bit more running and hotter can be expected

Customer:

So it sound like the refrig/freezer is old and summer is making it run harder to keep temperatures cold. okay thanks for the information,