Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

We have an under-range oven purchased in August 1989 from Dacor

We have an under-range oven purchased in August 1989 from Dacor in Pasadena. The lower element (bake) doesn't come on. Broil and convection work fine. Preheat-broil on at 30% or so as expected, bake-cold. Second issue: the little knob to adjust the time/temp. to the right of the display broke off. We are using a very small screwdriver to turn it now, not very handy.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model number ? thx

Customer:

GGC365B and W305B are the model nos. for the gas cook top and the electric oven I can't tell which is which from the paper I have.

Randy 43 :

ok, thx , so the top is gas and the oven is electric. a duel fuel range ? or is it a seperate cooktop with a electric wall oven underneath?

Customer:

The range top is gas only. The oven is electric only. Oven is under the cook top.

Customer:

They are separate units installed in a base cabinet.

Randy 43 :

ok, so it is a range issue only then, do you have a meter to check for continuity on the bake element? because the power is ok if the broil works and convection works , if the bake element is noticeably bubbled or does have continuity thru it then the element is bad ..as for the knob , the shafyt is part of the timer board ,if that is broken off then replacing the timer is the only repair for that,if the shaft is intact then a knob is replaceable , if you have a meter ican help you check voltages to the bottom element if you are ok with doing something like that? thx

Randy 43 :

i meant to say earlier ,that element does not have continuity then the element is bad

Customer:

The bake element was changed from the plug-in to a "bolt-in" a few years ago when the plug contacts failed. the same thing may have happened to the 'new' arrangement. I can check that, but the little knob shaft is intact I believe, it broke just inside the face plate. The 1/16th inch hole in the remainder of the knob is where the screwdriver goes. If I can get a knob, and if I can get the face plate off I can replace them.

Randy 43 :

to get face plate off you need to pull the wall oven out a few inches remove the screws underneath the control panel and sides when it is out ,as for the element shut the breaker and visually inspect element for any bubbling ,remove screws and check those connections for bad wire connections ,if ok ? the element should show continuity,if you want to do a voltage check pull element out a bit make sure no metal touching on the element terminals turn breaker on and push bake , you should get 220-240 volts ac volts across those 2 terminals

Customer:

Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX e-mail our chat or should I print it? I will try the tests tomorrow. Any suggestions on parts?

Randy 43 :

just respond to the same question , as for parts ,you may just have a broken wire but i can see if i can get a element number for you

Randy 43 :

Bake Element - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Bake Element

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Bake element kit, *Eliminates terminal block

Manufacturer Number 86745

More

Suggested tools:

Randy 43 :

$100 approx

Randy 43 :

Timer Knob - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Timer Knob

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Knob, timer-wht

Manufacturer Number 82908

More

$0.75

Quantity:

In St

Customer:

Do you have black?

Randy 43 :

this is the black part number

Randy 43 :

Knob, timer-blk

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Customer:

Thank you.

Randy 43 :

good luck, no problem