Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Wolf gas range model A36KIC. I am not sure of the

Customer Question

I have a Wolf gas range model A36KIC. I am not sure of the age but at least 13 years old. I have had it for 2 months and despite the issues below, I love it.
The igniters for the burners are not working properly. Here's what's going on:
The left front burner must be lit with a match, there is no clicking of the igniter.
The left rear burner will light but the clicking sound will not stop.
The right front burner is fine except if the oven is on then sometimes the igniter wont stop clicking.
The right rear burner is fine.
I would like to fix this myself if possible. Please provide your expert opinion about what I need to fix and help with how to fix it and how to find parts. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Wolf service technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

first off, what is the full model number of your range?

Jon :

Next, if the burning or machine in general is constantly clicking then that is the issue.

Jon :

the spark module or as it is usually called a re ignition module is shorting out. And is getting stuck in the ignite position. Which will constantly send voltage to the igniters and cause them to click. first be sure the knob to that burner is not set to ignite? if it is not set to ignite and yet you still have the igniter to that burner clicking, then you need a new spark module.

Customer:

As far as I know the model # XXXXX XXXXX I bought the range used. Its 36" with 4 burners and a char broiler grill in the middle and the oven has a convection fan switch.

Jon :

now, it is pretty easy to install on most models but I would need to look your up to be sure. so please let me know what your model number is. thanks.

Customer:

I'm sure it is NOT set to light when it continues clicking. Also that burner is burning very tall on the high setting.

Jon :

ok. thank you for the model. let me check it. be right back.

Customer:

Also will this fix the burner that doesnt ignite with out a match?

Jon :

yes.

Jon :

that model number is XXXXX good. where did you get it from? is this a duel fuel range?

Jon :

do you know where to look for model numbers on your machine? i need the model number off the machine?

Customer:

It is not duel fuel. I got that number from a website. I do not know where to find it on the machine. Its at least 13 years old, fyi.

Jon :

ok. the number you list above is a good number for a wolf range. but lets check the model number on your unit. it will be listed in a few spots.

Customer:

http://www.wolfstoves.com/W36.html heres where I found that number

Customer:

ok

Jon :

the easiest is under the left burners. so if you can pull up the grates and the burner plates under it, it will be printed on sticker inside the unit. again just under the left burners.

Customer:

hold on

Jon :

you got it.

Jon :

most older model oven have been discontinued and yes, wolf still makes ranges that are not commercial as the website says. just because the model has been discontinued doesnt always mean that we cant get parts. so keep your fingers crossed that we can get parts for yours.

Customer:

got it A36KI-3

Jon :

if you cant find the model number under the left burners, then please look under the grill in the front of the machine. just under the door will be frontkick plate or grill. on some models there was a small thin sheet of metal that is tucked under the front kick plate. and you have to slide it out to get the model info. check there next.

Jon :

ok. good. was it under the burner?

Customer:

a metal plate on the left side under the burners

Jon :

ok.

Jon :

now it is just the left burner that is not functioning correctly?

Jon :

it will continue sparking after it is lit?

Customer:

nope. see original post for full description

Jon :

yes. i saw the post and original description. here is what you saidI have a Wolf gas range model A36KIC. I am not sure of the age but at least 13 years old. I have had it for 2 months and despite the issues below, I love it. The igniters for the burners are not working properly. Here's what's going on: The left front burner must be lit with a match, there is no clicking of the igniter. The left rear burner will light but the clicking sound will not stop. The right front burner is fine except if the oven is on

Jon :

you said the front doesnt ignite at all but the rear will light and continue to click.

Jon :

is that correct?

Jon :

front will not light at all? even when putting a flame to ignite it with burner turned to high? and that the rear is constantly clicking?

Customer:

yes, and so will the right front IF the oven is on.

Jon :

just want to make sure that is it ?

Jon :

the right front will what when the oven is on? not light ate all or continue to click?

Customer:

the front left burner can be lit with a match.

Customer:

continue to click

Jon :

ok. good. very important to know that it can be lit with match. that means the gas valve to the burner is working.

Jon :

then yes, the problem is with the spark modules in your machine.

Customer:

are there multiple modules?

Jon :

they are shorting out. and causing the clicking to the burners. even after they have been lit.

Jon :

it is common.

Jon :

yes. there can be up to five modules on these machines. one for each burner and one for the grill.

Customer:

the little things that the spark comes out of, is that the spark module? They look pretty beat.

Jon :

when you pulled up the burner caps and grates did you notice wires going into a small metal box? if yes, how many boxes did you see? just one for the left and one for the right under the right burners?

Jon :

the little white things on the side of the burners are the igniters or what is called the electrodes

Jon :

if they are sparking, well it seems al are sparking except the front left one, then they are good.

Customer:

I have to go check, I had to plug in my computer so I'm not right at the stove. be right back

Jon :

it seems as if you need the spark modules and the front left igniter.

Jon :

you got it. please check. and tell if all the burners igniters spark?

Customer:

Hi. I cannot see the small metal box, not sure what I am looking for . there is something like that on the inside of each knowb.

Customer:

there are separate wires going to each burner.

Customer:

Every burner except the left front delivers a spark.

Jon :

are you able to take pictures of the inside of the surface and the knobs and up load them here? this way i can see what you are referring to.

Customer:

sure

Jon :

if not, then i would have to say according he diagrams i am looking at here, the spark modules are located under the burners.

Customer:

directly under?

Customer:

where did you find the diagram?

Jon :

and if all igniters spark except the front left then they are good. and all you will need is the front left igniter and two spark modules for the burners continually clicking.

Jon :

I am an authorized wolf service tech. i have access to their website and programs and diagrams. which include the exploded view diagrams of all there units ever made.

Customer:

cool. do you think I can replace them myself?

Jon :

if you could take pictures of the front of your machine, top of the machine and inside the burner area after burners have been removed that would help me determine what modules you would need. just take the pics then use the pape clip attachment icon here at the top of the chat box to upload the pics. that would be great.

Customer:

ok. this will take a few.

Jon :

and yes, you should be able to replace them yourself. as long as they are still available. which i cant check until i know what modules you have.

Jon :

you got it. at your earliest convenience take the pics and upload them here. if you are going to do this another time then i just ask that you rate my performance now with a rating of ok service or better. this way you can come directly back to me here at the website and not have to start all over again with someone else.

Jon :

you will not be charged again or even at all if you need to come back to me here. even if you have to come back multiple times. it will only be the one charge. and if you have other questions referring to this machine just come back to me here and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

I will only be online for about another half hour or so. Its getting late here in new york and have to turn in for the night. I am usually on line with the website here for most of the day and night. so when you have the pics just come back here and log back in and upload them. I will see them and that you have loggen in and get back to you.

Customer:

ok. lets pic this back up tomorrow. NYC is my home town, btw.

Customer:

Ok lets pick this back up tomorrow. In the mean time I will upload. by the way, nyc is my home town, but now Im in SF.

Jon :

ok. nice about being local in NYC. i am on long island. Where in NYC are you?

Jon :

we can certainly pick this up in the morning. just upload the pics and i will take a look and get back with to you with part info. and as long as they are available, i will tell you where to order the parts cheaply. and then give you instructions on how to install them yourself.

Jon :

please just remember to rate my performance positively now so that you will be able to come back to me here directly tomorrow.

Jon :

thanks and have a good night.

Customer:

will do. thanks.

Jon :

you got it.

Customer:

left burners
Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

inside left toward front
Full Size Image

Customer:

underneath burner looking up
Full Size Image

Customer:

inside behind oven knob
Full Size Image

Customer:

grill front from above
Full Size Image

Customer:

right front corner
Full Size Image

Customer:

right front corner 2
Full Size Image

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You opened a new question instead of just coming back here. I know the website can be a bit confusing so its not your fault. No worries. Just don't want to see you get charged twice.

Just respond back to me here and not at the new question. This way you won't get charged again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon.

Yes very confusing. I didnt mean to open a new question. I didnt even know I did. Any how, thanks. So where we left things was that I was taking photos (which I uploaded so i assume you can see those too) and you were going to use those to tell me what 1) parts I need and where to find and 2) how to install them myself.

The holiday is tomorrow and I will be away for 2 days. Do you want to pick this back up on Saturday or Monday? If its easier you can contact me at ocelot67, a gmail address.

thanks

Helena

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Helena,

No worries. I only just received the pics now. I'll look at them and get back to you by Monday and let you know the part info and how to install it.

Have a good holiday. Talk to you soon.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Helena,

Thank you for the pictures they were perfect. This unfortunately is a wolf commercial line range which is completely different from the normal Wolf/ SubZero more popular range. They are closely similar but a bit harder to work on and find parts for.

The spark module is located either behind the front control or in the back of the range. I am sorry I cant pin point the location better then that but please know that with the model you have Wolf has put it in a few different locations. And just by looking at the pictures alone that you have sent doesnt let me see where exactly they are.

With the top surface burners off you will be able to see into and behind the front control. Take a look there if you can see the spark module? It will have all the wires that go from each burner igniter to the spark module. It should have at least seven wires going to it. If you dont see it there then it is behind the range.

And to order parts please go to http://wolfstoves.com and type in your model or just call them to order the module.

If you have any troubles please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jon. I'll give it a try. I'm going on a work trip for a couple weeks so it will have to wait til I return. Happy Summer. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome Helena.

I hope you will get some down time during your work trip to enjoy some of the summer. Just get back to me here when you have a minute to work on this machine again.

Talk to you soon.