Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have Frigidair freezer model ffu20g9hw2. Something failed

I have Frigidair freezer model ffu20g9hw2. Something failed and it does not freez.
The compressor runs,one tube leaving the compressor gets hot but but the other tube is only cool. I removed the panel to exspose the evaporator. only a small portion of the evaporator gathers frost. The tubing has frost up past the heat exchaanger and bout half way the top layer of tubes in the evaporator. Am I dealing with something that is worth repoairing or should I buy a new freezer. I see no oil leaks or other signs that the freon has leaked. Thank you!
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is likely not something that is worth repairing, but that is up to you to decide. You either have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor if only a small portion of the evaporator has frost on it. You'd need a technician to come in and check the freon pressure to determine exactly which one you are experiencing, but the cost to repair a leak is about $350 and the cost to replace the compressor is about $550, so neither option is an in-expensive option I'm afraid to say.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!