Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

i have a GE model#gtdn500emows dryer, when i press start, it

Customer Question

i have a GE model#gtdn500emows dryer, when i press start, it starts, but when i let go it stops, i opened the door to check the switch, the lights on, and when i press the door switch in, the light goes of. I can press the start switch and watch the drum spin. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the dryer stops as soon as you let go of the start button, it means that your centrifugal switch on your motor has failed and the entire motor will need to be ordered and replaced. The reason why is because the centrifugal switch can't be replaced separately from the motor and it's job is to switch the power from the start winding to the run winding so that the motor will continue running after you let go of the start button. Either way, below is a link to the motor you'll need to order and replace for your model. The part costs about $250, so it may not be worth repairing, but that's completely up to you to decide.

CLICK HERE for motor

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you sure this is it? the dryer is only 2 years old and does at a maximum 5 loads a week

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am positive. There is nothing else that would cause this issue unless you just has a loose wire connected to the motor itself. So if you want to check the wires first, you could---otherwise, the motor would need to be replaced.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just got done replacing with a brand new motor... guess what? still doesn't work now i am even farther in the hole...no loose wires

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what to say. If the motor was replaced, then it's most likely good. But whether you can see a loose or bad connection your wire or timer, there is one. If you can't locate it, then you'll need to call a technician out because there is absolutely nothing else that can cause this problem.