Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a kenmore elite quiet pak 2 He3 washer. Unfortunately,

I have a kenmore elite quiet pak 2 He3 washer. Unfortunately, because of the plumbing, it sits to the right of the dryer so that when the dryer door is down and I open the front door of the washer to move the wet clothes to the dryer, the window of the washer door hits the corner of the dryer door - and it has cracked and cracked so that now there's a chunk of cracked plastic that is ready to completely drop out. Is there a way to replace the window? Do I need to replace the door? Can either one of those things be done at home? Thanks so much!

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your washer. The door front can be replaced and I can get you a part number if you supply the model number. The good news is that even if you completely broke out the plastic front it would not cause a leak. The glass inner door is where the water is sealed from coming out. Let me know what you would like to do.

Customer:

OK--I can get you the model number, but would like to know if this is a repair that someone with minimal skills and experience can do. Glad to know it's really the inner door that is critical to preventing leaks (I was counting on that!).

Appliance Tech Dave :

To do this safely I would take the door off the washer and lay it on a flat surface. The glass is heavy and you don't want to risk dropping it. The screws should be visible from the inside and when putting it back together you need to make sure it all lines up and the glass contact the seal so you don't get a leak. We don't try to judge your ability so I will let you decide. It is not a simple repair for someone that never did it before.

Customer:

Thanks. That's helpful. Model # XXXXX XXXXX /p>

Appliance Tech Dave :

Thanks but the model number came in as all XXXXXXXs due to the site software. Can you resend it and put a space between each set of 3 or 4 numbers. I will reasemble the model number and check on the part for you.

Customer:

HEre you go: 110 458 62 404

Appliance Tech Dave :

That worked. Here is a link to the parts list. **Click here** You need #20. Almost $193 plus shipping! Since it is only cosmetic could you use clear tape or glue the broken section? Just as a suggestion since I don't know how bad it is broken.